Shot Confusion

futurenets

Reaction score
Just starting out float fishing (UK) ...

I recently inherited a split shot dispenser AAA,BB,No1,No4,No.6,No8,SSG plus a box of No.8 Dinsmores. But don't think the shots are the correct size for the compartment.

I have a small set of weight scales so I thought I'd weigh them to make sure they're in the correct compartment? I took 50 No8 (0.06g) Dinsmores and expected them to weigh 3g but they were slightly heavier?

My wife thinks I'm crazy (starting to agree) but should I just start again with new shots? just don't like wasting stuff.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd forget about how accurate the weights are and concentrate on shotting your floats, you'll soon get used to using them. . The weights of shot needed which is often printed on the side of floats is often inaccurate too.

Keith M

Reaction score
This may possibly help you.

You are right of course; 50 no.8s should weigh 3g like you said but as Peter said shot weights are often inaccurate anyway and so is the shot rating that's printed on floats.

SplitShotConversionChart.gif

Keith

Last edited:

futurenets

Reaction score
thank you.

one last question ... these are quite old and I understand using real lead can be illegal. Is there a quick way to determine if they're real lead?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It is still legal in the UK to use some lead weights in fishing and this includes split shot from size 8 down to size 14 and leger weights weighing more than 1 ounce (28.35 grams)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Think I'd start over with a new dispenser. At least that way you'll know which is which & you'd have something to compare the old stuff against visually....which is easier than weighing I would have thought.

Once you've sorted the old stuff out you can use it to top up the new dispenser as shot gets used. Assuming the old shot above size 8 is not lead. If it is...bin it as its illegal as Simon says.

futurenets

Reaction score
Thank you. I know this a a lot of messing around but I'm also learning quite a bit just discussing it.

I'm going to put the old stuff in individual seal-able bags and take them to my local fishing shop and ask if they're lead or not. If any are then I throw them. Then buy new shots from my dispenser.