Sparrow hawk

seth49

Reaction score

Managed to get this photo of a male sparrow hawk in the garden this morning,he's a bit of a nuisance with the small birds in the garden,but it's nature I suppose, he's a good looking bird, now he's in breeding plumage.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Just a question,why can't I see this post, when I look in the photo gallery,it doesn't seem to be there,it just shows up as the latest post, but not in gallery section, thanks

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, they are a beautiful bird and we have two of them visit our garden, although I haven't seen them for a while. This will change once the small birds start gathering in numbers.
Very clever bird as well with infinite patience as it waits for a bird to break cover. They just seem to settle down for the wait, but I have seen them fly around and around a particular bush flapping its wings against the undergrowth until a small bird decides it has had enough. Big mistake!

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Good spot! I'm not sure if it's me becoming more observant but around Nottinghamshire I have notices a lot more activity from birds of pray. I'm particular buzzards are always circling overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Managed to get this photo of a male sparrow hawk in the garden this morning,he's a bit of a nuisance with the small birds in the garden,but it's nature I suppose, he's a good looking bird, now he's in breeding plumage.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Just a question,why can't I see this post, when I look in the photo gallery,it doesn't seem to be there,it just shows up as the latest post, but not in gallery section, thanks

Nice pic Seth :thumbs:

Incidentally mate male sparrowhawks don't actually change into breeding plumage, they tend to keep the same plumage throughout the course of the year, the only time when they'll renew there plumage is when they go through their annual moult which is normally late summer :D

They don't need to have breeding plumage as the hens are a lot more of a plain colouration and are easily sexable throughout the year,

This being involved within the bird fancy is what we call Diamorphic,
Any birds that are very hard to sex and both look identical within the genetical features are what we call Monomorphic :thumbs:

( I'm a champion British bird, mule and hybrid breeder, exhibititor and judge ) but have now stepped down from the show scene after 30 years and now just keep a small collection for me own pleasure and interest :)

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind comments on the photo, I have been trying to get a photo of these for a year or two now, I missed my chance with the female yesterday, she had flown by the time I had got my camera, will keep trying though,and if I manage it, I will put it on here.

mikench

Reaction score
Great photo of a spectacular bird. I have had similar close encounters in the garden but never had a camera . I love birds of prey.

Stuart you are a man of many talents!!;)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Great photo of a spectacular bird. I have had similar close encounters in the garden but never had a camera . I love birds of prey.

Stuart you are a man of many talents!!;)

Other than me family Mike, me fishing and bird keeping to a high std is a way of life to me :D
I've never known any different and have done both since the age of about 10,

Trouble is that when I set out to do something I don't do it light heartedly as I normally do the whole Hogg and do it 110 % ......or try to :)......lols

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We used to fly them on blackbirds lol....seriously we did. Flew 'em on partridges, pigeons and doves. They where just like mini Goshawks and would fly straight into cover without fear of injury.

seth49

Reaction score

Little chap was back again this morning,looks like he had flown into a thorn bush or something, judging by the blood on his chest, he sat there for a while giving me time to get my camera.

Like the close up, there's a very hypnotic look to the eyes, I think, must be the last thing a lot of small birds see.?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Little chap was back again this morning,looks like he had flown into a thorn bush or something, judging by the blood on his chest, he sat there for a while giving me time to get my camera.

Like the close up, there's a very hypnotic look to the eyes, I think, must be the last thing a lot of small birds see.?

That blood is most probably from what he's just caught and ate " breakfast " ;)

The biggest problem is what's he gonna be having for dinner :eek:

ken more

Reaction score
Looks like he's lost one of his feet/talon bits, and his right wing looks funny. Probably just me though and i hope he's fine. His eye's are fantastic, remind me someone close to my heart when i have p***** her off:)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Looks like he's lost one of his feet/talon bits, and his right wing looks funny. Probably just me though and i hope he's fine. His eye's are fantastic, remind me someone close to my heart when i have p***** her off:)

I should think that his foot is fine, most birds rest and actually sit by using one foot :rolleyes:

The wing is probably OK aswell, don't forget that the bird sits and balances by the use of its tail, the bird is sitting but with his tail pushed out from underneath of him because of the flat surface directly beneath him, this will then often mean that the birds will use their wings to balance aswell and is why it probably looks as if he's holding the wing slightly back :)

Also at times the feathers can get pushed out of position during flight especially when attacking and landing onto prey, normally a quick shake and shuffle of the feathers and there normally repositioned, the bird will also do this by preening aswell

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Yes he definitely had both feet, it was the way he was standing when I took the photo, I've removed my bird feeders for a bit, he's been taking too many of my finches, I had over thirty goldfinches coming to feed, there to scared to come anyware near at the moment, same goes for the siskins and a pair of bullfinch as well as some redpolls.