Baltic Pike & Sea-Trout

greenie62

Reaction score

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Danish sea-trouters are very lucky to have the Baltic.

Fished a few of that country's lovely little trout rivers when working on a trout farm for several weeks as a young man, but as Baltic sea-trout were little known back then and spun heavily for by those who did know, I never got to have a fling at what these fellas are after here.

Fall and Trout on Vimeo

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very nice shrimp fly for the Baltic sea-trout below. I have boxes of similar flies here, the flies that I tied for Argentine and Chilean sea-trout and steelhead from the early 1990s to early 2000s, crosses between / hybrids of the then becoming ubiquitous Woolly B-u-g-g-e-r - http://tinyurl.com/pty78lb - and a style of fly that neither the fish nor my local flyfisher friends had encountered before, the traditional Irish Shrimp - irish shrimp fly patterns - Google Search

The Icelandic shrimp fly, the Krafla (pronounced Krapla), also did well in its original and made-over forms.

How the fish loved them. So did my friends, awaiting my arrival late in the year or just after Christmas to fish several new seasons with them. How they'd strip my boxes of flies - lift entire boxes in a few cases!

Anyway...

Vaskebj�rn - Pink edition on Vimeo

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice to see someone doing what is possibly my favourite form of fly fishing - stalking and sight-fishing big sea-trout in small rivers. The man featured in the movie below is fishing in southern Sweden, but I have done the same on two very small Welsh rivers, one a little source-to-sea stream in its own right, the other a tributary of a top sea-trout river. Fish to well over 9 pounds over the years, on 5-weight tackle. A lot of bramble scratches and nettle stings and occasional fallings out of bankside alders, too.

In the Southern Hemisphere, in southern Chile and Argentina, I managed to find three streams in which monsters would sometimes swim in full daytime view. My largest down there was 21 pounds, again on 5-weight tackle.

Nice fishing.

FLY TV - Sight Fishing Big Sea Trout in a Small River - YouTube