rivers closed (can we fish canals?)

tomo

Reaction score
just wondering.now its close season can we still fish canals?????

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Yes, providing the controling club allows it.

tomo

Reaction score
TA BIG BAZ.the stretch of canal im on about is free fishing so ta bazza.
ill let you know my results.................

L

levelspiker

the two clubs that control the fishing on our local canal ban baitfishing for pike from march 15th until sept 1st or oct 1st(depending on which club controls the stretch)although lure fishing is allowed.
i fully support these rules,as i believe that the pike deserve a rest during spawning times and the warmer months.especially as the warm weather sees the banks lined with fair weather noddies,whose fish care and tackle leave much to be desired.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that canals that are directly connected to river systems (ie. with no lock to divide tham) are also closed through the close season?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

There is a lake (The Flash)where the river runs in one end and out the other, which stays open on the Weaver. It has been debated a number of times locally, but it still remains open.

L

Les Clark

I thought the rule is that land locked waters can be fished 365 days of the year ,depending on the local bylaw`s /club rules and river`s ,canals come under the close season ruleing ?
But saying that ,I agree with levelspiker .

L

levelspiker

canals can now be fished year round,with a few exceptions,such as the glastonbury canal in somerset (aka the south drain).
I believe that this water is subject to a close season because it runs through an area designated as a sssi,esa,nature reserve etc.
personally,i`d like to see the close season imposed on all waters again,these idiots who flout the rules and fish rivers in the close season,would then have no excuse,plus the fish would get a rest.