FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Predator Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 19:21
Moaning Marlow Meldrew

Jeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enoughJeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enough
Default Landing Nets - which is currently best?

My Fox is looking tired these days, the threads of connector are wearing out, so I was thinking (wished I wouldn't!) of investing in a new pike net. So, it has to be coated to stop hooks penetrating, it has to be big enough min. 30" (bigger if triangular), and it has to be fairly lightweight for portability, chances I use it for lure fishing.

Any suggestions, anyone?

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Should add, been reading this review and it looks promising? Any further views on it?

And now I've found this -

Come one, cough up Graham, what's it like?

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Got it Graham. I just wonder if what's on there system now is the same net as the new one seems to only have a one piece handle.

Last edited by Jeff Woodhouse; 07-10-2011 at 19:07.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18

mark brailsford 2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Landing Nets - which is currently best?

hi jeff,
have a look at the spro big fish net on harris sports mail web site. I have one and it is a superb net for the money, very, very light, rubber mesh and a handle that slides down like a salmon gye net, all for £30.00!

hope that helps mate

mark
Old 08-10-2011, 14:50

keora is on a distinguished road

I've tried 36 inch landing nets and found that they are cumbersome on the bank, and the effective netting area for scooping out big pike is smaller than you would expect. The 42 inch versions are even worse, they get caught up in bankside vegetation. My last one broke after just a few months. I've just looked at the ad and film for the 42 inch net. To me it looks far too big for an active lure fishing session. This size is better used for static fishing will fairly clear banks, in my view.

I would try a 30 inch circular net, or even better, this 32 inch length pike net from wychwood:

Wychwood Pike Net - All Landing Nets - Landing Nets - Predator

It's got a solid aluminium frame painted black, shaped like a slightly squashed capital D. Unlike triangular nets with a spreader block and a bow cord, it can't be dismantled. This doesn't matter, as the shape of the net means it can fit flat in the boot of a supermini size car, such as a Fiesta.

The net comes with a soft micro mesh, which I recently changed to a 1 inch mesh from Dave Lumb tackle.

Harris Sportsmail used to sell a special lure fishing net, with a hole size of about 2.5 inches and made of a very thick woven nylon. It's true that lures and hooks didn't get caught up, but the holes were so large that fins used to part protrude through the mesh and then get cut.I don't think they sell it any more.

Last edited by keora; 08-10-2011 at 15:08.
Old 08-10-2011, 15:26
Moaning Marlow Meldrew

Jeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enoughJeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mark. I had seen that and the one by Savage here -
Click the image to open in full size.

I've put both in my wish list to look at later.

And thanks for the warning on the triangular net Keith, I know they can be a bit cumbersome and certainly not the ideal for a lure session. The Wychwood does look promising, but it's not rubberised. I wonder if someone shoudl tell them!!!

Looks like the batttle is between the Spro and the Savage, but I just wonder how you'd cope with the short handle, or does it matter? Pity you can't take that one off and attach a full length one, but I suppose I want my cake and eat it now.

The search continues, but thanks guys.

BTW, I see this is a nice big net - 33inches from McLean
Click the image to open in full size.

at £99.99, but with a built in scale! I think I'll leave it for now before the papers for a divorce arrive.

Last edited by Jeff Woodhouse; 08-10-2011 at 15:34.
Old 08-10-2011, 18:12

mark brailsford 2 is on a distinguished road

hi jeff,
A mate of mine bought the mclean net with the scale, it is a good net but just a little over priced and a bit gimmicky!!!
don't worry about the short handle on the spro, it just makes it a bit more portable and the mesh will never get caught in the undergrowth!
Old 14-10-2011, 19:22

sweave is on a distinguished road

I can also vouch for the Spro net - so nice not to have to cut up trebles to gte them out of the mesh.
Old 17-10-2011, 18:16

mscustomlures is on a distinguished road

Another vote for the spro, I use a bungee cord and throw it on my back while I'm out wandering the banks with lures