fred wagstaff

Greg Matthews

Reaction score
just wondering if anybody has a copy of any of his articles on piking on the loughs of ireland/scotland.it is a long shot but u never know.anybody fish with him.he seemed to be the pionner of this kind if fishing.any info would help.

thankyou

T

The Monk

no sorry, I last spoke to him about 15 years ago, I think he was involved with the Liecester PAC at the time, you could try contactinhg them

Colin Brett

Reaction score
"Adventures of the Black Pig"

Try Angling Times who reported Fred's adventures in Ireland.

He fished with Bob Reynolds, but I seem to remember he is out of commission I believe at somebodys pleasure, if you know what I mean. Allegedly!!!

Colin

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Fred Wagstaffe died some years ago. I met him and we got drunk together in Melton Mowbray ca 1965.

In latter years he achieved almost legendary status, first by fishing with Bob Reynolds in Ireland, and secondly by catching lots of big brown and rainbow trout on Grafham and Rutland Water. He and Bob Reynolds wrote a weekly dossier on their exploits in Ireland which was published in Angling Times in the 70s.

Unfortunately Fred had a personal problem which I will not discuss here. He was also a bit of a strange character as many fanatical predator anglers seem to be. But one thing he did was to pioneer lure fishing for big pike in the 60s and 70s.

He also hated **** Walker. Why? - think it was because Walker never really understood pike.

john anthony bate

Reaction score
shows my age but he was fishing in eireland when i 1st started loved his reports about fishing from his boat the black pig they even took blue sharks on pike gear and experimented in using big live baits i think they even used 20lb pike as live bait what they would have made of the cats on the ebro ,10lb carp as live bait i think
john in portugal