Hit one miss ten!!!

B

binka

I've just had a memorable couple of hours of jig fishing after work on a local lake last night.

I managed a jack of around 5lbs almost straight away before making my way down to a quiet corner of the lake and nothing much really happened for an hour until a spray of fry erupted beyond an overhanging tree to my right.

I'd only got weighted jigs with me but always carry some large single hooks and so on went a loose body to an unwighted hook and I began to twitch the lure through the top couple of feet of water.

What an experience!

I had just managed to stumble on one of those brief but magical feeding spells and for the next half an hour I was able to see the fish strike in from nowhere in the clear water right in front of me.

What amazed me even more was the turn of speed that the pike made off agian after the quickest split second dash in and bite on the lure... even with the soft body lure they seemed to know in less than the blink of an eyelid that something wasn't right and they were in, on and gone before you could even think to strike!

Most predator fisherman must have experienced fish coming in like exocets but i've never seen 'em in and gone again like this before, in total ten missed hits from what were clearly different sized fish striking from all directions.

All the time there were sprays of fry erupting in front of me and then as suddenly as it had begun from nowhere it just stopped, no gradual slow down... just stop and it was if there wasn't a pike in the place!

Frustrating in one respect but a fascinating education in many others, I feel lucky to have experienced it :)

pikingpirategramps

Reaction score
its happened to me a couple times but the best was while fishing at night it lasted about hour, one of our group would land one put the light on to unhook then five ten minutes after the light was turned off it would start again, we couldn't see the fish but could here and see the spraying of the water, its was pretty special, managed to catch a few and it was a full moon so was quite light considering it was 1:00am, thats was two years ago but i still remember it like yesterday

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
Have not come across this yet but for me nothing beats using a surface lure in the wee hours of the morning and watching a wave form just behide the lure before the pike strikes

terry m

Reaction score
Have not come across this yet but for me nothing beats using a surface lure in the wee hours of the morning and watching a wave form just behide the lure before the pike strikes

Totally agree, the anticipation almost has me striking to set the hooks before the fish has even taken the lure!!!

Real heart thumping stuff, especially if the following shadow is a large one.

rains

Reaction score
On another thought theirs the horror of striking to hard when the lures on the surface and the fish miss's it there is nothing more scary they a bunch of hooks travleing at 50mph stright at you lol