FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Predator Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 19:40

flightliner is on a distinguished road
Default Zander cull

Back in the eighties there was a zander cull on what ,if I remember, was the middle level drain/s. Anyone here remember it and what were your veiws at the time?. Were you for or against, and, after all these years has your opinion changed.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15

pointngo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zander cull

It's not my area so don't have any first hand experience of it on the drains but it still goes on in the canals around Birmingham. The EA have been electro fishing them for years and although it reduces numbers in the short term, electro fishing never catches all the fish so they just repopulate. You then get an explosion of small zander until they balance out again so all that is achieved is that the bigger fish are killed and the silverfish fry numbers are reduced by the small zander.... pointless and counterproductive imho. Zander are one of those fish that shoal so if you find one you find a few.. I think that gives the wrong impression that there are loads of them in a venue when in reality it's just a passing/resident shoal. I have it on good authority though that the EA are slowly realising that culling zander doesn't really work so are looking to change their "invasive species" status.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52

mick b is on a distinguished road

The worst thing about the culling of Zander during that period was that no accurate records were kept and the fishery science applied was severely flawed.

Just a knee jerk response to a balls-up by the water authority.

Sadly, with Zander then becoming fishings enemy No:1 those that had a mind to were able to seed waters to repay perceived grievances, which I think is how they turned up in some very unwelcome places.

A very sporting fish, I just wish everyone would cease calling them 'Zeds' ......ugh!

Old 10-11-2013, 09:37

symonh2000 is on a distinguished road

I would love to be able to catch Zander. I wouldn't mind betting that they do far less damage to a waters ecology than many other non-native specises such as signal crayfish.

Signal crayfish have had a huge impact on the fishing in my local river, as well as destroying the banks.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43

Peter Jacobs is a jewel in the roughPeter Jacobs is a jewel in the roughPeter Jacobs is a jewel in the rough

I seem to recall that there was a cull on and around the Norfolk Broads which were once really prolific Roach and Bream venues that suffered badly form the original introduction of Zander.

Go softly by that river side Or when you would depart, You'll find its every winding tied; And knotted round your heart.

Rudyard Kipling

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50
Banned

the blanker is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of waters near me along with canals that have Zander in them, the canals used to be electro fished and the Zander removed, as said previously it just led to more small Zander many of which would previously been eaten by larger fish if they had been left alone.

One of the stillwaters that have them used to have a club rule that all Zander should be killed which to me was a stupid rule and one that was ignored by the predator anglers on there, I don't know if that was the reason why the rule was later changed to only fish below 7lbs to be removed but that rule is also ignored.

The Zander did have an initial impact for a few years on both canal and Stillwater but now both have healthy populations of silver fish, the only thing that has suffered is the pike fishing with competition for food they seem to have dropped in numbers and size or could it be that these waters are now so balanced that the pike are still there but harder to catch due to the amount of food available to them.

Once Zander are in a water they are there to stay and no amount of culling will get rid of them its a waste of time and money and the waters will eventually reach a balance if they are left alone.
tiinker likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:20

mick b is on a distinguished road

Blanker said
"The Zander did have an initial impact for a few years on both canal and Stillwater but now both have healthy populations of silver fish, the only thing that has suffered is the pike fishing with competition for food they seem to have dropped in numbers and size or could it be that these waters are now so balanced that the pike are still there but harder to catch due to the amount of food available to them"

Your Pike are probably targeting immature Zander.

Zander make excellent baits for Pike, use one around 1.5lbs fished mid depth in deep water and cast around with a frozen mackerel every 15mins or so, you wont get much on the sloshing around with the mack but it will sure wake up any biggies in the area (thats the way to do it, eh Derek )

Last edited by mick b; 10-11-2013 at 19:26.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24
Banned

tiinker is on a distinguished road

Plenty of Zander in the lower Thames and plenty of bait fish plenty of fish from Teddington upstream Molsey weir can be very good and the moorings around Kingston.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22

saone ranger is on a distinguished road

Pike are easily pushed out by other predators in my experience.

Zander certainly can become top dog and even perch on some venues can out the pike.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:34

Derek Gibson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saone ranger View Post
Pike are easily pushed out by other predators in my experience.

Zander certainly can become top dog and even perch on some venues can out the pike.
There have been times over the years when I have felt along similar lines, then out of the blue along comes a catch which includes both pike and Zander. All this flies in the face of the oft quoted ''territoriality''. It's all speculation at the end of the day, all we have to work with is empirical experiences based over many years, and crucially many fish.

Cull's, I have no scientific training, so once again empirical experience is the only base from which I can offer an opinion. In the case of pike, which after all is a predator like the Zander, I am certain that if larger fish are removed by a proffessional approach, ie:- water authorities etc, or by persistant idiot anglers, in the belief they are protecting the water, the result equals an explosion of smaller fish. I cannot see that the same scenario would not apply with Zander. IMHO.
symonh2000 likes this.