Info on line strength, and traces

mujician

Reaction score
Hi,
As per the title, I want some info on line strength for pike, and catfish. I just bough some rods from ebay which the guy used to land circa 40lb cats with.

If I went for pike, what line should I use? I have some lures and 20lb wire traces.

If I go for catfish, what kind of rigs, and terminal tackle would I need? The nearest place for cats to me requires no traces while fishing (there are also pike and other fig in the water), so what would you recommend on the is instance?

john step

Reaction score
without appearing negative..there are so many questions here. Almost too many for a blog reply. Could fill several magazine articles!
Find an angler willing to take you and who knows what is what. Failing that there are numerous books on pike and cats to get you started.
The line strengths depend a lot on the rod capabilities. There is a world of difference between a brute of a cat rod and a lure rod.
You really need to do your research as to what you have purchased.
Take a look at the Pike Anglers Club website.

noutbutacold

Reaction score
I don't think you need wire traces for catfish, In fact I think they are positivley discouraged, Cats have crusher pads as opposed to teeth so the wire trace does nothing but cut them up

marshman39

Reaction score
It's all to do with what lures you are throwing more than how big the fish is. Try not to buy any more gear until you've done a bit more research or talked to a serious lure angler. Just because the rod is strong enough to land catfish it doesn't mean it's suitable for pike. Of course that rod would handle a pike but it's not about that.

I've already written a blog post to help people in the same boat as you, so please take time to read this and understand what you are aiming for in lure fishing.

River Piker: New to lure fishing? - the casual lure anglers guide

As a 99% only lure fisherman, it's a costly game if your set up is not right as you lose lures that cost loads of money. Balancing the set up to comfortably cast the lures, and work the lures correctly while also giving you a chance of getting back the lure if it gets snagged up. For your twenty pound wire trace you would stick twenty pound braid with it. You would also only use small lures.

If you fished the place with cats, but there are pike in I would recommend a wire trace or you'll end up with dead pike, plus lost lures. In this instance you should use a coated wire trace to help protect the cats mouth, that should please the cat people and keep the pike alive.