Perching

naxian62

Reaction score
If you where to livebait whilst chasing a few larger perch what would be your first choice? Are they cannabalistic like pike? Caught a few on micro lures just lately up to about half a pound and seen much larger fish sort of chasing the fish that I'm winding, very interesting to watch.
Anyone any thoughts on this.

sagalout

Reaction score
They will readily take perch but I favour the major prey species in the water. On one water I fish it is roach, on a river it may be minnow or gudgeon

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Sagalout's right mate, big Perch will readily take smaller Perch, have no reservation's about that.

One word of warning though, if the water is known to contain Pike please use a wire trace, ''it won't'' put the larger Perch off taking your bait. But should you happen to hook a Pike at least you will be able to land and return the fish.

One further word, the larger Perch are extremely delicate despite their aggressive behaviour, and having eyes bigger than their bellies, so treat them as gently as possible.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Not long ago I caught a nice Perch from my local lake whilst spinning, and whilst I was unhooking it coughed up a smaller Perch.

So they are certainly canabalistic.

smudger172

Reaction score
Slightly off thread but many years ago when i fished Queenford lagoon. Photographing a big bream in the morning there was about 12 dead small 1.5 inch perch in the sack. coughed up in the night.

naxian62

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.
Baby perch it is then, and I know just how to get a few together quick sharpish like.

guest61

Reaction score
Have noticed an increase in perch numbers this summer, mostly in the rivers. catching smaller ones in numbers along with the odd solitary larger fish. sooner lure fish to keep on the move, however I would imagine that the most prominent bait fish present would be the most obvious choice if live baiting,

As for coughing things up... I had a 1lb trout that coughed up a decent dace last week... and a 4 lb salmon (accidental capture) that had a massive bulge in its stomach. didn't cough anything up but it goes to show what is possible, looked very uncomfy.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I agree, there are loads of Perch in my local waters these days, and my local lake is also full of millions of baby perch, presumably from this years fry.

The numbers of other species seem to have decined, but perch seem to be doing very well.

The small ones can be a bit of a nusance when you are spinning and trying to catch the bigger ones.

kevtaylor

Reaction score
I find the biggest problem is finding the bigger perch on lures or livebait. My local waters are also full of small perch but there are a few decent perch if you can find them. One day you find them, next day they have gone.

I find my best days are when the bigger perch are fry bashing - then lures or livies work well!

naxian62

Reaction score
Well I had my first go at livebaiting for them the other evening, and landed a 2lb 4oz beaut ( and a small jack had to get in on the action of course!). Very happy with that for my first attempt, and it did indeed fall to one of it's smaller brethren.
Tight lines all.

kevtaylor

Reaction score
Well done, a 2lb 4oz perch is a great result ! I have been fishing local rivers with lures since 16 June & only managed 1 perch over 2lb so far & that was from the wonderful River Thames!
I must try harder!!;)