Where do you lot get your dead baits?

justabitpikey

Reaction score
Evening all
I know it's not pike time of year but I was wondering where you get your dead baits from because I noticed my local tackle shop charges £1.25 per roach which I personally think is a bit pricey for something to chuck into a lake and never see again....
Are the bulk deals out there? Out of season price cuts??? Or am I just abit tight?

I'd be interested to know your thoughts...
Atb

B

binka

Yes there is a bulk, and much cheaper option available...

Online Baits UK

I've not used them yet having bookmarked them last winter, at around a third to a quarter of the price you mention (which is not uncommon) i'll be giving 'em a go come the time.

john step

Reaction score
I have access to a water with an endless supply of rudd that need constant thinning ..and a freezer. Just as aside though does anyone know if the same rules for transfering live fish apply to coarse deadbaits re bio security. If they do many of us are in the wrong.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I get some baits from my tackle shop as they have a good selection at a reasonable price.

I have also bought from the supermarket before now, especially sprats and sardines.

This year I also managed to pick up some joey Mackerel down Chesil beach whilst I was feathering as well.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What ? 25 bob for one chuffin roach :eek::eek: I'd take my custom elsewhere double sharp ! My local shop has a decent selection at a fair price [ignoring the ice mummies down the bottom] but I get my sardines from Tesco. Fresher & a lot cheaper....

ianhodge

Reaction score
We get bulk buys from Neville Flickings shop online. Don't forget about the supermarkets as well. I find morrisons the best for sardines, Great value

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For those who prefer to catch their own baits here is an extract from the EA website regarding the taking of fish:

Coarse (freshwater) fish

"Each day you can only take from rivers:

• 1 pike (up to 65cm)
  • 2 grayling (30-38cm)
  • 15 small fish (up to 20cm) including barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, rudd, silver bream, smelt and tench
Any eel you catch (except conger eels) must be released alive.

You can also take:

• minor or ‘tiddler’ species, such as gudgeon
  • non-native species
  • ornamental varieties of native species like ghost or koi carp
You can be fined if you remove fish from privately-owned waters without written permission from the owner"

It is also worth noting that there may be differences in the above in different regions, so best to check in the location where you intend to catch . . . . . . .

greenie62

Reaction score
Can I keep my 10 off 20cm barbel in a keep net along with my 5 off 20cm crucians to keep them fresh as live bait?
Hi Corky,
Please take a picture of the Cru's before you use them - still looking for some in my local fishery! ;):eek:mg:

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
don't know where you live but i go to billinsgate market in london.alternatively try asian/foreign fish mongers they stock unusual frozen fish at cheaper prices than tackle shops.

flightliner

Reaction score
My local tackle dealer does ok from me in an emergency but morrisons are not bad for most of my seabaits..

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I have access to a water with an endless supply of rudd that need constant thinning ..and a freezer. Just as aside though does anyone know if the same rules for transfering live fish apply to coarse deadbaits re bio security. If they do many of us are in the wrong.

This depends on local bye laws, for the trent and severn for example, you may use preserved deadbaits and sea baits but not use a coarse deadbait you have caught elsewhere, or something like that

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
For those who prefer to catch their own baits here is an extract from the EA website regarding the taking of fish:

Coarse (freshwater) fish

"Each day you can only take from rivers:

• 1 pike (up to 65cm)
  • 2 grayling (30-38cm)
  • 15 small fish (up to 20cm) including barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, rudd, silver bream, smelt and tench
Any eel you catch (except conger eels) must be released alive.

You can also take:

• minor or ‘tiddler’ species, such as gudgeon
  • non-native species
  • ornamental varieties of native species like ghost or koi carp
You can be fined if you remove fish from privately-owned waters without written permission from the owner"

It is also worth noting that there may be differences in the above in different regions, so best to check in the location where you intend to catch . . . . . . .

Notice that the one species we use a lot for pike is not on the list, Roach.

nicepix

Reaction score
There are loads of small ponds round these parts that are stuffed full of stunted roach and carp. Once in a while I go to one of them and take out 20 or 30, kill them immediately and put them in a bucket. Once home I'll freeze them on a tray and then bag them up in batches of half a dozen or so.

A lot of the fishing shops and that includes some larger supermarkets, DIY shops and garden centres that sell tackle also have a tank of small roach that you can buy for around 40 cents each. Some sell live tench of around 1/2lb which are the favoured livebaits for catfish.

nicepix

Reaction score
Has anyone tried sand eels? I had a few catfish on them last summer - three or four on a hook. I would imagine they might be good for pike and possibly zander on canals.