UK freshwater predatory species

guest61

Reaction score
The barbell on a mepps thread spurred me into asking this. Wondering what folk have caught on lures or fish baits? any surprise captures etc

mick b

Reaction score
In the mid 70's I saw a Roach around 3lbs caught on a small spoon.:eek: (in Holland)

Who says they shouldn't?
Largest possible protein gain for the lowest energy expenditure, why Lions kill Elephants I suppose.

lambert1

Reaction score
Well that has changed my view of Cyprinids Steve, perhaps I better target big Roach with a Mepps in future or maybe some mackerel feathers (not serious about the feathers before anybody gets upset). But to me it is marvellous when fish do not behave as we might expect and these surprise captures are what makes it so much fun! Thanks for those, very enjoyable!

john step

Reaction score
Why not? They take fishmeal pellets and paste. I also get the occasional carp when deadbaiting for perch.

terry m

Reaction score

Interesting gallery, thanks for sharing.

Did the bicycle take a plug or a spinner?

---------- Post added at 03:25 ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 ----------

Why not? They take fishmeal pellets and paste. I also get the occasional carp when deadbaiting for perch.

A few years ago I saw a guy land a 20+ carp using an eel section for bait whilst targeting moggies. I would have struggled to believe it but the eel was still on the hook inside the carps mouth when he banked it.

Ian Scarfe

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a 5lb chub on a 6" piece of lamprey,while piking in the Damflask,not sure which of us was most surprised.

Berber King

Reaction score
I caught a medium carp whilst dead baiting for cats, it took half a small mackerel

P

pointngo

carp eat a lot more fry than people realise. I hooked a carp on a 2" shad down the canal and have had them following 190mm swimbaits right to the bank.

It's not in the LAS gallery but one lad had a big carp on a 6" jerkbait last year or the year before.. it was "the" fish in the lake all the resident carp anglers were after and although he didn't weigh it, the last time it was caught it was over 40lb! (and it hadn't got smaller) :eek: He only popped out to try a new rod & reel. :eek:mg:

one lake I pike fish has so many carp that they eat everything and it's quite common to see them caught on half mackerel or sardine. First time I saw it I thought the chap was livebaiting as his indicators were doing the dance... he had 6 carp that afternoon on deadbaits!

On the very few occasions I've chucked a deadbait into a trout reservoir for pike, the bloody trout usually end up sending me round the bend.. constantly taking chunks out of the bellies of whole mackerel/blueys etc.. mostly not getting hooked but pulling the indicator off every few minutes... you can feel the buggers shaking their heads down the braid as they take a bite then come back for more. It's worst when you inject fish oils! Arghhhh! I'm getting wound up just thinking about them! :w The Chew record brownie (24lb I think) came to a deadbait and it's not that uncommon on there. Had a few modest trout on big jerkbaits and 8" castaics and a mate had a 7lb+ bass on a 10" Castaic quite a few miles inland.

I've also seen several lamprey caught on spinners on the Severn, but who in the world would want to do that. :eek:hno:

Oh, I had a 4.11lb chub this last winter on a whole mackerel.. not a small one either, 10-12", and the bottom treble, halfway down the flank, was inches inside the mouth so it must have swallowed it head first!

Last edited:

kevtaylor

Reaction score
As a lure angler - you would be surprised at some of the fish I have caught on my lures,

Rudd - on a Mepps.
Bream - on a small diving plug.
Tench - on drop shot creature

and

Catfish - on a Mepps!!

All great fun though!:)