Good deadbait pike rods?

paul1234

Reaction score
Going to turn my attention to deadbaiting this year,as i only do the odd bit of spinning during the colder months,mainly chubbing though,
I have a good stretch of the nene aswell as a few pits and resi's.
I will generally be doing margin work,so will not need a rod that will chuck 100s of yards!!probably 40yards maximum,fishing with 2odd ounce leads,mackerel sections,joey mackerel,lamprey,smelt,just a simple setup.
Any thoughts on rods??
Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terry m

Reaction score
Paul, I bought a pair of Greys Prowla 2.25 1ft DB rods last winter, mainly for river work. They are fantastic, perhaps a little lighter than would normally be used, but at the ranges you are suggesting, there is no issue setting the hooks.

They are very well made, very slim, full cork handle and a sweet through action. Additionally they get the lifetime Greys warranty. Take a look you may just like them as much as I do.

paul1234

Reaction score
Paul, I bought a pair of Greys Prowla 2.25 1ft DB rods last winter, mainly for river work. They are fantastic, perhaps a little lighter than would normally be used, but at the ranges you are suggesting, there is no issue setting the hooks.

They are very well made, very slim, full cork handle and a sweet through action. Additionally they get the lifetime Greys warranty. Take a look you may just like them as much as I do.

Sounds ideal for the fishing il be doing,il have a look :) cheers terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

Terry... I remember you enquiring about these, I think? :confused:

Glad you like 'em as i've had my eye on them too, I currently use 2 x Fox Warrior 2.75lb tc rods which you will probably pick up new for around fifty quid a piece brand new for my river work and to be fair they've been great and are a true through action, I would dearly like a pair of the Greys too though :)

jimlad

Reaction score
I found the greys prowla a little top stuff for the suggested rating interestingly.

I'm going to be purchasing a Dave lumb P2 pike rod for this winter river campaign, 11ft 2.5lb.

http://www.dlst.co.uk/baitrods.html

jimlad

Reaction score
That should have said a little "too stiff".

I'll only be using one rod, so not a pair of them! What's £180 for a good rod?!

Last edited:
B

binka

I'll only be using one rod, so not a pair of them! What's £180 for a good rod?!

First sign of guilt fellas... denial!

Only joking mate, I will be interested to read a review of the DL when you get it :)

jimlad

Reaction score
Yes, I have used the 10ft pikeflex for the last two years and think it's a very good river rod, especially on the overgrown river tees I fish. It's classed as a boat rod on the description, but certainly a lot more versatile than that. At a push, it's fine for chucking out mid sized lures as well.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I either use a heavy carp rod or my 10ft Daiwa Procaster spinning rod.

The spinning rod is good for small to medium deadbaits as well as lures, and the carp rods are fine as long as you don't need ultimate distance casting.

flightliner

Reaction score
Masterline nige williams thirteen foot 3lb tc, bait rod. Plenty of big pike within your intended casting range that need a bit of oomphhh on the odd occasion.
The day may come when you really need the distance too, better have the capability than be undergunned.
Not sure if they are still made but some on e bay at very sensible prices.
Love mine.

john step

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Shimano 12 foot 3lb marker rods. Lovely action just the job for piking. Not too stiff so the deadbaits don't get cast off! Good price too.
Shakespere do a deadbait 3lb rod which is designed for the job at about £36.
I havn't bought a duff Shaky yet.

ianhodge

Reaction score
Jim my mate I fish with bought a pair of P2s last year and he raves about them. He originally bought them for the boat but he uses them as much as he can now. They do look a nice rod.

jimlad

Reaction score
Aye, I have a couple of mates who use them and they similarly rave about them

P

pointngo

if there aren't many/any snags, or if the pike aren't particularly big, then a 2¼-2½lb tc will be nice to use and the right tool but if you think you might ever need to bully a fish then a step up to 2¾lb tc might be an idea.

I'd be looking at 10 - 11ft rods in whatever tc you choose. You'll find the reduced length will help when moving swims or under-arm casting under tree's etc. 12ft can get a bit cumbersome on rivers and there's just no need. You rarely have to cast more than 30m even on big rivers.

I've nearly been tempted several times by the Lumby P5 but the limited amount of bait fishing I do doesn't justify the cost. I use a DL rod for big lures and the action and power is spot on. A couple of mates use the P5's and P2's and love them.

The Free Spirit Pike Tamer might be worth a look but I've not used or seen one.

Last edited:

ianhodge

Reaction score
I use the Wychwood extractor 2.75tc boat rods and I love them. Great value as well.

B

binka

12ft can get a bit cumbersome on rivers and there's just no need

I've heard this said before about longer pike rods on rivers and reckon I must be a bit weird? :D

It's one of the things (or the only thing, other than the price until I bent into a couple of decent fish and found them very accomadating) that I initially liked about the Fox Warriors.

Personally, and only in my own experience, I find longer rods more practical both for controlling a trotted dead and for holding decent fish from lunging under bankside, overhanging snags which I will commonly fish to.

I certainly wouldn't mind a pair of DL's though...