FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Predator Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 23:04

naxian62 is on a distinguished road
Default Floating Plastic

Anyone know of any other brand of plastic lures, shads, minnows etc., apart from the Z-man brand that float ?
Old 29-08-2014, 09:52

Derek Gibson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Floating Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naxian62 View Post
Anyone know of any other brand of plastic lures, shads, minnows etc., apart from the Z-man brand that float ?
Are you refering to surface lures in particular .
Old 29-08-2014, 14:20

@ DG
Yeah kind of, but my idea is to try and rig up rubber shads in a weedless fashion. My local cut is pretty weeded up atm and I dont see it dissapating until the new year!
Also I was chatting with a guy on the bank who was using these weedless lures he picked in Holland. He was lobing them right on to dense weed and then just drawing/jerking it back in to more open water. Looked just the ticket, although he did say his hook up ratio wasn't brilliant.
Old 29-08-2014, 20:06

laguna is on a distinguished road

Wasn't there a video with John Wilson using them across lilly pads? maybe its a brand he owns

May all your fishes be bigger tomorrow!
Old 30-08-2014, 10:17

pointngo is on a distinguished road

there aren't any solid body soft plastics that float that I know of, at least not with a wire trace attached.

you can either rig a sinking softbait weedless and drag it through or over the weeds/pads etc but it won't stay on the surface.

another option is to use a hollow body topwater frog, which are weedless. Now that is fun fishing! You get plenty of hits but the hookup rate can be low, especially if you use too soft a rod.

take a look here... Frogs & Surface Lures

all these lures will work rigged weedless and the matzuo frogs are fine, although if you get into it the spro and koppers live target frogs are better at walking the dog and hooking up. (ignore the floating claim of the sizmic floating toad as it sinks with a wire trace)

if you want something more fish like, or something a bit weird, look here in the various sections... Soft Plastic Lures

you can weedless rig the jerkbaits, creatures, eels.. the list is endless. The trick is getting the right size hook for various baits.

you need strong gear for this fishing though. 20lb braid isn't going to cut it and you want 40lb minimum in thick weed on a strong rod with an upper casting rating of 50g minimum.

hooking fish on weedless lures can be tricky but you have to not strike at the splash, but wait a split second until you feel the fish... it's very hard to get used to when you've spent your life striking immediately but you will hook more fish that way. A lot of hook-up problems come from the wrong rod though.. if it's too soft you simply won't set the hooks.
Derek Gibson likes this.

Last edited by pointngo; 30-08-2014 at 10:24.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:15

greenie62 is on a distinguished road

Some years ago I bought some cork-based lures at a tackle shop in Derbyshire (can't remember where - possibly Ashbourne) including a mouse-lure - they also had cork frog lures. They were made from Wine bottle corks - I've found the following link on how to make them for yourself: How To Make A Fishing Lure Out of a Wine Cork | Field & Stream
Certainly the idea of making them from the new-style plastic 'corks' may be a winner - hope you have fun!
Tight Lines!
neil1970 likes this.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:55

catching pike off the top is about as good as it gets imho and it's the icing on the cake if it's on a homemade lure.

get into surface fishing for them and you'll see some truly amazing sights! ... but not for those with a weak heart.
Old 30-08-2014, 14:29

Great replies guys ,many thanks.
Certainly a lot of scope to try out different styles of lures.
Now I've got another use for all the corks I end up with. I own a restaurant so my supply is endless.
Old 30-08-2014, 14:51

I'd highly recommend getting a topwater frog mate... it's loads of fun just getting the hits, even if you miss a few. Your heart literally misses a beat when they get walloped!
binka likes this.
Old 30-08-2014, 15:09

Derek Gibson is on a distinguished road

And you will miss a few, unless you have done a deal with the devil, or have golden orbs. A change of underwear is mandatory for top water lure fishing it dosent get any better, enjoy.
binka likes this.