what lure rod

njord1963

Reaction score
Hi everyone, complete newbie to forums and fishing. Been excited and enchanted by thought of lure fishing after much research on google. Fancy fishing for perch and possibly light piking on reservoir near me. Would a Bushwacker 7-13 xlnt spinning rod be decent rod to start with. My thinking is to keep things light and cast small lures for perch as well as slightly larger for small pike ? Not sure what would prevent big pike taking bait though so unsure if this rod too light. I do like idea of keeping set up light though. Any input much appreciated. Cheers :) ps also looked at Greys Prowla Gs Lite range of rods.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It's always a bit of a compromise when you undertake light spinning, and you are unsure what gear you will need. Especially if you're troubled by the possibility of hooking into bigger pike.

In answer to your question, ''There is nothing to prevent a big pike taking your lure'', in fact, many would welcome the chance.

My suggestion would be, decide what size of lure you fancy throwing and then base your ''rod'' selection on the weight of those lures. There are now available a wide selection of lure rod's in varying casting weights, so you should have no difficulty in meeting your requirements.

But first, make sure you have done your homework on unhooking, and the equipment needed. Only then can you enjoy this branch of the sport to the maximum, hope this helps.

P

pointngo

getting a rod for both perch and pike will see you compromising on both. They have different mouth structures that need a softer tip rod, for perch, and a stiffer (faster) rod for pike. That doesn't mean you can't get a rod that will do for both, but it won't be great for either. It'll get you started though.

I might be wrong but I don't think there is a 7-13g bushwacker. Do you mean a 3-18g? If so, that's as good as any for the price but be aware that SG rods have a tendency for the tip to snap off if abused ie. they won't stand sharp knocks or straightening eyes that have been bent. I'm not trying to put you off as SG rods are good for the money but you have to treat them gently.... I'm clumsy... I've broken two! :wh

Still own and use two though for very light piking and bass so they aren't too bad. :)

Take Dereks advice and learn everything you need before you go after pike.. it's safer for the fish and you.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I would go for a medium-heavy spinning rod.

It will be soft enough for smaller fish but still have enough backbone for landing the larger ones which have a habit of coming along.

The one I currently use is a Daiwa Exceler 8 ft, casting weight 10-40g. It is really nice little rod and wasn't overtly expensive.

I have lighter as well as heavier rods for other situations but this is the one I use the most due to its versatility.

And Derek's advice with regard to handling the Pike is spot on. :)

njord1963

Reaction score
Cheers for your replies lads. Lots of good advice there. Think I will still go for the six foot greys g lite rod and get another spinning rod with higher casting weight and bit of backbone at a later date. Still fancy the lighter roving style of lure fishing. One last question though.Would you still advise I use metal trace even if I am only casting very light lures of three or four gram ? Guessing answer is yes but seems odd to use heavy trace with light lure. Sorry if its a daft question. Thanks again for previous replies.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Cheers for your replies lads. Lots of good advice there. Think I will still go for the six foot greys g lite rod and get another spinning rod with higher casting weight and bit of backbone at a later date. Still fancy the lighter roving style of lure fishing. One last question though.Would you still advise I use metal trace even if I am only casting very light lures of three or four gram ? Guessing answer is yes but seems odd to use heavy trace with light lure. Sorry if its a daft question. Thanks again for previous replies.

Yes mate, I would advise a wire trace even though you may only be casting very light lures. No need to go overboard though with the trace from a test (breaking strain) point of view, say something in the order of fifteen/twentylbs. I'm purely guessing here as I can't recall if you'd said whether you'd be using braid or mono, but based on your rod choice I would think that the above suggestions would serve you well, and give you a running chance of landing anything bigger than you'd anticipate. Any prob's let us know.

P

pointngo

The G-lite will serve you well and will land pike up to mid doubles without much issue. It's probably a good idea not to rush into buying too many set-ups yet but when/if you want a heavier rod for pike then the G-lite is a great perch/chub/canal zander rod.

15lb, 49 strand wire will be fine for light lures and if there is a chance of pike you should always use wire imho. Please don't buy into the fluorocarbon nonsense if you read about it.. pike will bite through it, even 140lb fluoro, and it shouldn't even be considered if you have trebles on your lures.

when using such light lures you do need to think a bit about swivels and snaplinks.. if they're too big the weight will affect the action a bit, as will too heavy a wire or thick fluoro.

aebitim

Reaction score
The G-lite will serve you well and will land pike up to mid doubles without much issue. It's probably a good idea not to rush into buying too many set-ups yet but when/if you want a heavier rod for pike then the G-lite is a great perch/chub/canal zander rod.

15lb, 49 strand wire will be fine for light lures and if there is a chance of pike you should always use wire imho. Please don't buy into the fluorocarbon nonsense if you read about it.. pike will bite through it, even 140lb fluoro, and it shouldn't even be considered if you have trebles on your lures.

when using such light lures you do need to think a bit about swivels and snaplinks.. if they're too big the weight will affect the action a bit, as will too heavy a wire or thick fluoro.

Agree with the fluoro coated thing, best to buy the cheapest thickest per pound mono that you can find which will give you a fair chance against an oike, would rather keep the barbs crimped and let the pike take there chance, if specifically fishing for pike then fine wire is the way to go and split rings are much lighter than swivels, you can allways put the swivel on the other end of the trace.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Agree with the fluoro coated thing, best to buy the cheapest thickest per pound mono that you can find which will give you a fair chance against an oike, would rather keep the barbs crimped and let the pike take there chance, if specifically fishing for pike then fine wire is the way to go and split rings are much lighter than swivels, you can allways put the swivel on the other end of the trace.

No, no, no, wherever there's the possibility of pike, please don't use mono ''however thick''.

Crimped barbs and letting pike take their chances. What exactly does that mean?

P

pointngo

you misunderstand mate.. when I say fluoro I was talking about using it for a lure trace/leader, not the mainline. As Derek has said, you should never use mono for pike traces and fluoro is only marginally tougher.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
you misunderstand mate.. when I say fluoro I was talking about using it for a lure trace/leader, not the mainline. As Derek has said, you should never use mono for pike traces and fluoro is only marginally tougher.

Marc,

Perhaps my post displayed a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I hope not, no offence was intended, however it does seem a tad cavalier to me.

My mantra has always been, fish heavy enough to ensure the capture. I have never believed in giving the fish a fighting chance, although some seem to feel there's merit in fishing the lightest gear possible. I hope you get my drift, because whatever way we stack it, where pike are present and you're chucking lures nothing will deter them from taking it should they wish to.

P

pointngo

Hi Derek,

I think we've got crossed wires mate. I can't take any offence because I'm not really sure what you're referring to. :confused::) My post was in response to aebitim's where he mentioned coated fluoro, which is mainline.

I completely agree with everything you've said (tbh I thought we'd said pretty much the same thing.. use wire), and I'm most definitely one for using heavy gear myself mate.

Marc :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Hi Derek,

I think we've got crossed wires mate. I can't take any offence because I'm not really sure what you're referring to. :confused::) My post was in response to aebitim's where he mentioned coated fluoro, which is mainline.

I completely agree with everything you've said (tbh I thought we'd said pretty much the same thing.. use wire), and I'm most definitely one for using heavy gear myself mate.

Marc :)

It's my mistake Marc, I was referring to aebitims post, particularly the bits that I referred to as cavalier,ie- his reference to ''if it gets away, it gets away'', and heavy mono. The point I was making, badly as it turns out, but I was not being harsh or super critical, just picking up on poor advice.

aebitim

Reaction score
It's my mistake Marc, I was referring to aebitims post, particularly the bits that I referred to as cavalier,ie- his reference to ''if it gets away, it gets away'', and heavy mono. The point I was making, badly as it turns out, but I was not being harsh or super critical, just picking up on poor advice.

Hi Derek, using cheap 20lb mono as a leader for a 3 gram jelly when fishing for perch etc gives you a fighting chance of landing a jack, far more than using a 4lb leader anyway, using a wire trace on a 3 gram jelly is a bit ott.
A small jelly is unlikely to do much harm to a pike if it has crimped barbs the pike will soon get rid of it.
Once the lures get to a size where wire becomes an option then there is no reason not to use it.
Hopefully this makes things clearer.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Hi Derek, using cheap 20lb mono as a leader for a 3 gram jelly when fishing for perch etc gives you a fighting chance of landing a jack, far more than using a 4lb leader anyway, using a wire trace on a 3 gram jelly is a bit ott.
A small jelly is unlikely to do much harm to a pike if it has crimped barbs the pike will soon get rid of it.
Once the lures get to a size where wire becomes an option then there is no reason not to use it.
Hopefully this makes things clearer.

Hi Tim, point taken and accepted, sorry for the confusion, my fault.

mick b

Reaction score
Sorry Tim but I think your wrong.

Traces when lure fishing, whatever size the lure, should be mandatory.

There is brilliant stranded wire available in 7-10lbs and I've got a roll of 29lb Italian made single strand that is just 11 thou in diameter.**

I once caught a 19lb Pike while fishing a live minnow for Perch and I would have lost it for certain if I hadn't been using a trace, and that was in the early '70's and the wire was Alasticum.

Pike can also swallow a lure almost out of sight so 'getting rid' of anything hooked in the throat of a Pike would hardly be easy.
I once had a 600 size Cisco Kid swallowed so deep I could only see the head and lip, okay it was a 20 but the damn lure was over 6" long excluding the tail hooks!

** I will bring you some.

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Mick, I remember using elasticum, blimey those were the days, and yes there is a case for using wire, was not aware that fine and reliable wire was avialable having just returned to fresh water lures after 20 years. A little concerned about leaving a wire trace in a pike as I am using 5 lb mainline, will have to have a rethink and a look around.

Derek, no wurries, I could have explained a bit better and saved the cofusion.

P

pointngo

No problem Derek, I thought that might have been the case mate. :)

I agree that wire should be used for pretty much all lure fishing but even though I'm as pro-wire/anti-fluoro for pike as you can get, I do concede that a small single hook on a jighead meant for perch probably doesn't cause too many problems for pike if bitten off but again, pike will bite straight through thin (20lb) mono or fluoro with absolute ease so is it responsible to fish like that if there are viable alternatives?

Knot2Kinky do 6lb & 12lb single strand titanium which quite a few people use for light lures, but single strand ti has a tendency to slip in the crimp (although you can knot some ti) so the leaders have to be made very well... the tag end of the ti should pass through a double crimp 3 times to stop it slipping. I use 15lb wonderwire for light stuff and can't really see much, if any, difference it makes to the action of the lures, as it's similar to 20lb braid.

aebitim

Reaction score
Are pike the new barbel?
Cheap mono is thick and tough and can be knotted direct to a jelly, no messing about with swivels etc, wire is complicated hangs in trees for years, and leaving wire in a pike with the swivel on the other end of the trace is begining to look like a tether rig.
As always there is a balance to these things.

njord1963

Reaction score
Cheers lads. I think you have answered lots of my questions and more so thanks for that. I have bought braid at ten lb which is possibly a bit light according to your replies but will give it a go with a wire trace. Tackle not arrived yet it's mail order with harris sportsmail. Looking forward to it arriving now. Will keep you posted about my success or lack of it. :)