Wire and small jigs.

aebitim

Reaction score
Posted on this subject on a recent thread and got a strong reaction from several very experienced Anglers so putting it out for wider discussion.
First let me say that there is no excuse for not using wire when pike fishing I am talking about small jigs and jellies up to maybe 5 gramms for perch.

I have allways used strong nylon hooklinks [to give me a chance of not leaving a small barbless jully in a small pike] but I am always one to listen so I invested a few quid in some 10lb drennan soft wire which seems a good strong product and knots well enough to cope with my mainline.

Problem is that as large perch have a habbit of inhaling small lures [I crimp the barb because of this] and have notoriously soft mouths the wire which would make a fine cheesecutter is likely to come in contact with, and possibly cut the fishes mouth, especially where weed etc is involved and strongarm tactics are required.

Really not sure where to go from here, or even if I am worrying about nothing

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Tim its to your credit to worry about potential issues that concern the welfare of the fish, but I predict that as time unfolds you will find that your fears may well be unfounded. However this is a clever post as you say following on in the steps of the wire debate.

aebitim

Reaction score
Tim its to your credit to worry about potential issues that concern the welfare of the fish, but I predict that as time unfolds you will find that your fears may well be unfounded. However this is a clever post as you say following on in the steps of the wire debate.

Hi Derek,
Many thanks for the response, sadly to be described as clever was not the aim, my barbel dig on the other thread, comes from decluttering many barbel with 20 or 30lb braided hooklengths and some with all sorts of other sh1 attached

Experience is the hardest thing in the world to pass on, and, for me, the best bit of advice has already been given.
Thank you Sir