how to hold a pike

fishperch

Reaction score
the only thing stopping me targeting perch is the fear of catching pike as ive read stories of ppl having their hands bit really badly and tbh im a little scared to try perch fishing because of pike. do u like put them between ur knees like on tv? nd i taje it u have u use forceps to unhook them

greenie62

Reaction score
That's a bit like saying: "I'm not going to use trousers with zip-flies 'cos it hurts if you get your todger caught in it :eek: - it's only buttons for me from now on"!

Just be careful out there!

Have a look at the guides that the PAC produce - like this one Handling Pike | Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain
- that might give you a bit of an idea on what to do and what additional tools you need.
Go for it - and Tight Lines!:thumbs:

fishperch

Reaction score
That's a bit like saying: "I'm not going to use trousers with zip-flies 'cos it hurts if you get your todger caught in it :eek: - it's only buttons for me from now on"! Just be careful out there! Have a look at the guides that the PAC produce - like this one Handling Pike | Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain - that might give you a bit of an idea on what to do and what additional tools you need. Go for it - and Tight Lines!:thumbs:
lol pretty much

B

binka

If you handle pike correctly you will have no chance of being bitten.

As a general guide in the event of an accidental capture and in the absence of someone more experienced who can show you the ropes simply insert your fingers gently into the gill flap and follow the natural groove around and under the chin to the front of the underside of the mouth.

When you reach the front you will safely have your fingers inside the cavity of the fishes open or closed mouth without fear of being bitten and you can then pull the jaws open, if necessary, to remove the hooks with a pair of forceps, you might find it easier to carry both short and long forceps to begin with.

It's a confidence trick if nothing else and try to resist the urge to let go when you feel the fish "going", the practice of turning fish onto their backs is generally associated with larger fish which refuse to play ball and clamp their jaws shut and turning them onto their backs enables you to gently support the fish between your knees whilst gaining the benefit of the fishes bulk weight working against it as you prize upwards and open the jaws.

It also secures the fish should it decide to thrash but as a general rule I find the larger fish easier to unhook than the smaller ones which can be a bit lively but still shouldn't represent a problem.

You should be able to deal with the vast majority of fish as they lay on their sides on the unhooking mat and try to remain in control, despite how it might feel at the time the fish is far more fearful of you than you are of it and is totally dependant on your handling.

Well done for asking :thumbs:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8UinikFL60]How to handle and unhook pike when fishing - YouTube[/ame]

marshman39

Reaction score
Here's my version, hope it helps.

[ame=http://youtu.be/sS7XBbF4Cf8]How to unhook a pike - tutorial (video 50) - YouTube[/ame]

law

Reaction score
Before even thinking about inserting your hand innto the gill flap, work out which side of the mouth the hook is. Or you risk hooking your finger too.

Amd even then, there is a risk. Ive had it myself where my hand is in, on the opposite side to the hooks, the fish has flapped, chucking one of the hooks into my finger. Instincivly I withdrew my hand. But Ive now got one hook in the mouth, the trace coming out of the gill and the other hook in my finger.
It was a good job I had wire cutters!

thecrow

Reaction score
Is it possible to fish for pike with someone that is more experienced in handling /unhooking them before you start your Perch fishing? no need to worry about Pike when Perch fishing then but also gives you the choice of fishing for Pike should you wish to.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Nothing beats someone who knows what they're doing to show you how its done. Its not difficult but you need the confidence of knowing what you're doing first. Nobody should be fishing for anything that they aren't confident about handling or are a little bit nervous of.......you'll do the pike no good at all if you wont go near it.

Fair play to you for asking. Plenty wouldn't and they are the ones we've all seen with a fish thrashing about on the bank doing itself a great deal of harm while they hop about safely out of range doing nothing.

terry m

Reaction score
Some great advice on this thread, the best of which is as Skippy says, go with an experienced piker to start with, then use the other advice once you have seen and been coached first hand.

It is easy for experienced people to explain the theory, but 80% of it is confidence.

IMO handling and unhooking small pike is more problematic than dealing with large fish.

greenie62

Reaction score
......IMO handling and unhooking small pike is more problematic than dealing with large fish.

Spot on Terry,
I know it's anthropomorphising it but:
Larger fish - usually caught before - seem to have a sense of resignation - "Go on - just get on with it - don't hurt me and I won't hurt you!:eek:mg:"
Small fish - often 1st time caught - appear more agitated - "WTF - get off - what do you think you're doing? - I'll have your b---dy fingers for this mate! :eek:"
As Terry, S-Kippy, and PACGB have said - it's easier with someone more experienced the first time! No Binka - I've not changed the subject!:rolleyes::D
Tight Lines!

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
The pikes teeth don't worry me, it's my hooks that I get more concerned with as they are more likely to cause an injury if the pike starts to thrash about ( usually the smaller ones ),
the little spikes on the gill rakers are sods too.

clive morton

Reaction score
it maybe a good idea for someone not used to handling pike to have a go fishing single circle hooks a bit of research and they can be up and running and only have one hook to worry about removing then given time and their confidence growing move on to tandem trebles if they feel it necessary.
having said that and being experienced myself having fished for pike for 30 years i am moving away from trebles and using circle hooks more and more lets not forget a novice can do a lot of damage to a pike trying to remove deep hooks and being a bit scared of the fish in the first place when i have caught pike on circles they have all been hooked in the scissors making it much easier to remove the hook.