Line for Drop Shotting

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my reel thread, I'm going to set myself up with a drop shotting kit for Perch.

I really don't like braid, the noise going through the rings puts me off, so is ok to use Fluorocarbon straight through when drop shotting.

And what pound Fluorocarbon would you use for a drop shot Perch fishing set up.

Bob

robertroach

Reaction score
I have been using 10lb fluorocarbon for light spinning and feeder fishing this season and I have just got rid of it because I really don't like it. It seems to get damaged easily maybe because its small diameter makes it vulnerable. Also I think it breaks more easily because it doesn't stretch.
I have gone back to using Diawa sensor, but I still use my 30lb braid for bass (and pike) fishing.

naxian62

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I use 6lb flouro as my hooklink when I dropshot.
Bob, If the braid is making a racket going through the rod rings, are you sure they are braid-friendly?

B

binka

I've given the new reel a good workout today which I loaded with Tuf-Line XP braid yesterday, the braid was silent with a nice neutral colour (I know some use flouro coloured braid for specific reasons) and I really rate it having not suffered a wind knot or any other mishap all day.

I used 8lb flouro but can't remember which brand, I went on advice and chose one of the more knot friendly and slightly thicker diameter brands on the basis that I didn't really think the slight difference in diameter would make much if any difference to the fish and I got on very well with it.

I then christened everything with a small perch of around half a pound and gave the drag on the reel a damn good workout on a couple of snags and overall I was really pleased with everything and found plenty of strength in the rig without having to worry about weak knots or anything else, the flouro didn't damage by moving the drop shot weight to different depths either.

Bob... if you're interested in the flouro brand let me know and i'll get off me backside and go have a look in the garage, I would definitely recommend it.

Edited to add: The flourocarbon is Fulling Mill tippet line

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm new to this lark too...I dont like braid and dont use it for anything else but for dropshotting I would say its a must. You are much more in touch and will feel every tap and also you can see the line,where it is and what's going on. Often the line will simply go slack and that is much more obvious with a bright coloured braid.

There is only one fluoro as far as I'm concerned. Incognito. I use it in 5lb for dropshotting....its stronger than that and the knot strength is superb.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, really helpful, I will bite the bullet and go with Braid.

Bob