spinning whilst dead baiting

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
When pike fishing, is it worth putting a dead bait out and spinning for pike or just one or the other?
As I see it the issues of spinning whilst having a dead bait out stops an angler from covering a large area of water as you intend to move you will be constantly reeling in and recasting the dead bait

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There is also the added danger of being so engrossed in the spinning that its possible to wander to far away from the deadbait rod. though many would argue it's possible to draw any pike in the vicinity towards the dead bait my vote would go to one method, be that dead bait or spinning.

flightliner

Reaction score
Derek, Matt Heyes was advocating it on lake escapes this morning on tv.He was boat fishing for pike on castle lake in Ireland.
Being on a boat I could see where he was coming from reasoning that if the fish were a bit slow in moving onto a static bait then spinning or luring could possibly have them making the odd follow towards the vicinity of said bait.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Point taken flight but he could hardly wander far from his deadbait rods whilst in a boat. And that was the crux of my post I've seen first hand many times guy's well away 'somtimes as much as fifty yards' from thier deadbait rods.

flightliner

Reaction score
Point taken flight but he could hardly wander far from his deadbait rods whilst in a boat. And that was the crux of my post I've seen first hand many times guy's well away 'somtimes as much as fifty yards' from thier deadbait rods.
A little better wording on my part Derek, I should have included the fact that its an ok thing in a boat as you cant leave the gear unattended sooner than it left unsaid.
PM coming your way.

keora

Reaction score
When pike fishing, is it worth putting a dead bait out and spinning for pike or just one or the other?
As I see it the issues of spinning whilst having a dead bait out stops an angler from covering a large area of water as you intend to move you will be constantly reeling in and recasting the dead bait

I've often used a deadbait rod and a lure rod at the same time when winter pike fishing on rivers, and I've had some good results. There can be days when pike aren't interested in deadbaits but will chase and take a lure and vice versa.

I cast the deadbait out on a sliding float rig and put the rod in a rest. When the float settles I start casting out the lure, avoiding the float rig. After ten or fifteen minutes with the lure, if I've had no takes, I stop lure fishing, and continue with the deadbait rod. I move swims regularly during the day, but not as frequently as when I'm fishing with just a lure rod.

P

pointngo

I think for the most part if you use both methods at the same time then you won't fish either very effectively. If you're concentrating on the float then you're not concentrating on the lure, and vice versa.

When lure fishing there's not many times that you need to spend 10 minutes in one swim. I usually don't spend anywhere near that amount of time unless I can cover a lot of water from one spot, or know the fish are gathered there, or the number of swims is limited. Staying in one spot will reduce the fish you cover with a lure and so reduce the fish you catch.

That being said, there are times when I occassionally do it. If I'm travelling a long way to lure fish and there's a chance the river is coloured then I'll take a bait rod in the car. It's saved me a few wasted trips and has caught me fish when the river is out of sorts and lures aren't working. When that happens, I'm bait fishing and chucking a lure in hope rather than using lures effectively but in that situation 2 bait rods would catch more fish.

It's all about optimising fishing time and using the best method for the conditions.

On lakes when you're fishing static then having a bait rod on a buzzer and chucking a lure around isn't a problem, as long as you don't wander off away from the bait rod, which is very tempting after chucking a lure around for a short time.

On boats I find having a float out is a real pain when lure fishing. You're constantly looking over your shoulder at the float and wasting a lot of time not concentrating on the lure. With lures you need to know exactly where your lure is and what it's doing to consistently catch and the float becomes a distraction rather than a help.

Last edited: