Deadbaiting from boats - bite indication

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Question for experienced Broadland pikers:

On Saturday I proved to myself that I can get early indication when ledgering sardines from the bank. My son and I had 3 rods - all had 2oz weights with bead sliders and another bead against the traces I'd made. One rod had an awesome Polaris locking float which was perfect . I was able to set it perfectly and maintain a firm line between float and ledger weight. Only felt like I could be attentive enough to constantly watch one float, so the other two rods had bite indicators and bobbins clipped to the line. All three rods had line looped into elastic bands with the bail arms open. Perfect, I believe we detected every bait nudge and run all day.

But next Autumn I plan to boat fish the Broads, so how do I go about early bite indication from a boat? I know all about beads and stopknots, but when on the move frequently, will I need to plumb the depth every time I move the bait? Obviously a locking float won't work from a wind-impacted boat. What are the preferred indication methods in this situation? I know some people say the Broads have uniform depths, but I know that's not strictly true, and I hate the idea of a pike being able to move a few feet without anything showing on the float - something that would happen if fishing significantly over depth.

Advice please!

terry m

Reaction score
Hi EelsFoot, no, you don't need to keep plumbing the depth.

Get a rough idea of the depth and then fish with you stop knot between 6 and 14 inches over depth with a non-self-cocking bottom fixed deadbait pencil float. Then as long as you are not fishing too close to the boat you can tighten down to partially cock the float with the line running at an angle between bait and base of float.

For sure the float may dance around a little with boat movement, but I promise you that if set correctly it will either flop over or kick up sharply when a pike picks up the bait.

One of my favourite methods of piking. It brings a whole new meaning to the lift method!!

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Can you clarify - you use a sliding ledger weight of 2oz or more for this method, is that correct? Cheers.