Finally..

wa1115

Reaction score
..got what I have been trying for, nothing huge but was good sport, caught 3 but lost 4, I think due to my drag being to slack.
IMG_20150305_144117_zpsjwtzasgw.jpg

DSC_0013_zps53adh6ay.jpg

nicepix

Reaction score
Well done.

Rather than blame the drag I'd be tempted to check the hooks for sharpness. Large hooks like those soon lose their edge especially if the get banged about when casting.

wa1115

Reaction score
Thanks but it don't think it was the hooks as I had the flies specially made for me and it was the first outing with them, I mentioned drag as when I struck the drag gave out line instantly so I belive not setting the hook enough and enabling it to be spat out? I will have a look tho.

nicepix

Reaction score
Big hooks need to be very sharp to penetrate hard mouthed fish like pike.

How do you strike? For pike I found that retrieving with rod almost straight out, pointing just off the line to the lure was best as you get more power transferred in the initial strike. When striking you need to clamp the reel to stop it slipping. One you have struck you can let the reel do its stuff, but for the strike you do need to put as much force in as possible and the more line you have out the more important that is.

I used to make tube flies so that I could use small trebles. They stick better.

wa1115

Reaction score
I think my strike could be wrong then, I am pretty new to lure fishing but from today it was more side on so striking sideways (thinking about it probably pulling the hook out the mouth) next time will try upward strike and keep in mind rod and line pointing at the lure.

nicepix

Reaction score
I think my strike could be wrong then, I am pretty new to lure fishing but from today it was more side on so striking sideways (thinking about it probably pulling the hook out the mouth) next time will try upward strike and keep in mind rod and line pointing at the lure.

Its not that. When you have your rod sideways almost all the power is absorbed by the rod and the hook doesn't get a good hold. But when you strike from the rod being pointed at the fly a lot more power goes through to the hook. And you need to stop your reel from giving line until the fish is well hooked.

wa1115

Reaction score
Brilliant thanks for the advice, I shall remember that next time I'm out, probably weekend at some point, and I will report back

wa1115

Reaction score
Well got out again today and took your advice on board, had 4 altogether and didn't lose any! Again nothing huge 4lb biggest but had a good session, thanks for the advice!
IMG_20150311_134659_zps0fdzydsh.jpg

IMG_20150311_134506_zpsybxtmsyk.jpg

terry m

Reaction score
When pike fishing with large hooks, I will generally strike twice. Once as normal, then once the fish is 'on' I will strike again to be 100% certain that the hooks have driven home. This was to countermeasure fish coming off half way through the fight, and it has reduced that occurrence by >80%

jake182

Reaction score
Good advice on striking there, I've had real trouble landing fish lately, I'm pretty new to lure fishing and didn't know why I wasn't landing then, I should think I was losing more than have, but the way I was striking explains it now, thanks for that