Pike

iain t

Reaction score
Why do some people consider that Pike should be fished in the Winter months only.
I agree that's it's a no no during spawning and just after.
These same people fish all year round for Carp including during spawning without a thought. To me that's double standards.
Would someone like to educate me

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
In short, warm water contains lower levels of oxygen, pike fight harder in warmer water and almost fight themselves to utter exhaustion. The low levels of oxygen mean that recovery is difficult and sometimes impossible.

For bait (deadbait) fishing in warm weather pike have a greater propensity to swallow a bait without moving so there is little or no indication, resulting in a deep hooked fish and the ensuing consequences.

Lure fishing with tackle that is heavy enough to get the fish in reasonably quickly (not skull dragging) means unlikely to deep hook and avoidance of exhaustion, that would be my advice during the summer.

iain t

Reaction score
In short, warm water contains lower levels of oxygen, pike fight harder in warmer water and almost fight themselves to utter exhaustion. The low levels of oxygen mean that recovery is difficult and sometimes impossible.

If this is the case wouldn't that be the same for Barbel etc.

I've only had a couple of deep hooked pike over the years. Luck for the fish and me i was able to return them safely. Since i started to using Drennan doubles i haven't had and trouble

Last edited:

naxian62

Reaction score
Hi Iain, "Drennan Doubles" ?? A quick search, and haven't been able to find them. You sure they are Drennans ? I ask because my supply of original VB s is just about to dry up, so I'll be needing a new hook for next season.
Cheers

iain t

Reaction score
Yes there Drennan's. It took me a while to track them down. The only mention on the Drennan site is on their made up rigs page apart from that nothing. Local shop didn't have them. Found a seller on Facebook on one of the Pike pages. Which i can't find at the moment. I have also tried the Partridge Ryder Double Pike Hook CS1RY in 4s and 6s. Both very strong.
Been looking at a listing on Ebay listing Kamatsu Ryder Double Fishing Hooks 301223654589. Looks the same hook for half the price. Going to order some to see if they are

naxian62

Reaction score
Iain, sorry to hijack your thread, but thanks for that. They Kamatsu 's look the ticket.
Had a look at some of the Partridge Ryders , but wasn't taken by 'em.

keora

Reaction score
Why do some people consider that Pike should be fished in the Winter months only.
I agree that's it's a no no during spawning and just after.
These same people fish all year round for Carp including during spawning without a thought. To me that's double standards.
Would someone like to educate me

There's an angling tradition that pike fishing is best in winter. How this tradition became established I don't know, perhaps it started in the 19th century.

Experienced anglers have reported that pike may not recover when caught in summer when water temperatures are high. I've not been able to find the maximum safe water temperature for pike fishing in the UK.

The PAC summer piking guide gives advice on safe techniques for pike fishing in summer.

PAC Summer Piking Guide | Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain

I've fished for pike a few times in summer, but normally I prefer to fish for other species and start pike fishing in September.

Last edited:

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
I bought some Kamatsu size 4 doubles (the larger half of the hook is size 4). When I got them the hooks were ridiculously thin, nowhere near strong enough for pike fishing. Binned them.

---------- Post added at 02:27 ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 ----------

.... and if people report pike dying after a hard fight in the summer, then it's not worth the risk. Only badly deep hooked pike I ever caught was on a live bait in June or July over 30 years ago. I struck immediately the float showed anything, but the end treble was totally out of sight in the gut. Decided to only lure fish in summer after that.

iain t

Reaction score
There's an angling tradition that pike fishing is best in winter. How this tradition became established I don't know, perhaps it started in the 19th century.

Experienced anglers have reported that pike may not recover when caught in summer when water temperatures are high. I've not been able to find the maximum safe water temperature for pike fishing in the UK.

The PAC summer piking guide gives advice on safe techniques for pike fishing in summer.

PAC Summer Piking Guide | Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain

I've fished for pike a few times in summer, but normally I prefer to fish for other species and start pike fishing in September.

Seeing PAC are highly respected in Pike fishing, They seem to have no problem summer fishing. Think this no fishing for Pike came in around the 19th century when the kit was crude and they were using straw stems for floats and rocks for weights.

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Many people on the PAC Facebook page do have a problem with summer pike fishing. As the pike experts on this thread say, it does involve increased risks to the fish.

rich4930

Reaction score
I've asked myself this very question many a time too. IMO it just comes down to urban (UK) myth. E.g. zander are also often subject of the same claim, which is absurd. The best possible time for zander are warm summer nights.

Regarding the "moral" arguments against it, not only are pike at their fittest and healthiest in summer, due to increased food levels, the often quoted arguments against fishing for them then must apply just as much to many other species of (hard fighting) fish, as mentioned already.

Last edited:

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
But this is not an urban myth, is it? Pike can and do die after fighting hard in hot weather. Don't forget that they are a unique fish, which hunt in short fast bursts. Their muscle tissue is different to that of most fish. A hard fight takes a lot more out of a pike than a carp. This is a finding of many experienced anglers.

Please research it further. You really will find that it's not urban myth at all. It's not convenient for us who don't want to kill pike.

The rule seems to be - land the pike quickly, and don't fish for them during really hot spells. Also don't bait fish for them in summer due to the instant deep hooking risk.

rich4930

Reaction score
But this is not an urban myth, is it? Pike can and do die after fighting hard in hot weather. Don't forget that they are a unique fish, which hunt in short fast bursts. Their muscle tissue is different to that of most fish. A hard fight takes a lot more out of a pike than a carp. This is a finding of many experienced anglers.

Please research it further. You really will find that it's not urban myth at all. It's not convenient for us who don't want to kill pike.

The rule seems to be - land the pike quickly, and don't fish for them during really hot spells. Also don't bait fish for them in summer due to the instant deep hooking risk.

I think it might be a bit of both (urban myth and plain truth). I would have to agree that pike are indeed one of the most "delicate" species and I would also support the idea of not fishing for them during hot spells. But I do also personally think, there's a tendency to exaggerate the issue as a quite instinctive reaction to being brought up on the notion that pike are a winter species.

Without wishing to offend anybody, I've heard enough people talk about the "zander and pike season" to believe that the welfare of pike is not *always* the primary reason that many people don't fish for them in the summer months, rather, for many people, just common belief that winter is the best time.

Just for the record, I don't want to kill pike either. Member of the PAC for many years, before leaving Britain. :)

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
Pike are also heavier in the winter as they are coming up to spawning, so are deemed a better catch.

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
My personal situation is that pike fishing is the only kind of fishing I enjoy. It's in my interests to convince myself there are no extra risks in summer and to just carry on in June where I left off in March. However, I won't be doing that, I'll be doing no fishing at all until August, unless August is really hot. And then I will only be lure fishing until October.

So my motives are only to avoid pike deaths, and I will be without fishing for several months because of the approach I have decided to take.

rich4930

Reaction score
Pike are also heavier in the winter as they are coming up to spawning, so are deemed a better catch.

I don't agree. Unless you are talking about immediately before spawning? In winter food sources are more difficult as many prey fish are holed up somewhere for winter. Rivers may be different, I don't know, but it's quite typical for pike in lakes to "rest" during winter, living off the fat reserves they've accumulated over summer. In my experience, pike caught in September/October are always fatter and stronger than in December/January. In February/March then yes they get heavier with spawn, but if we're going to frown upon fishing for them in summer, then where's the logic to say it's OK pre-spawning?

I do actually agree with you that many people will see it that way you put it and I've seen videos of well known anglers grinning their heads off with huge pike full of spawn. I find that 100 times worse than catching a fit and healthy pike in summer and doing everything you would do anyway to get it back quickly and safely.

I do agree though, that lure fishing is the responsible way to fish in the warmer months :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Each of us determines our own boundaries based on what we are at ease with. Your post illustrates quite clearly your stance and ethics. And although we may differ on a couple of points, I applaud your stance.

In my own case I do from time to time pike fish during early Summer with ''surface lures'', my own personal favourite method. But even then conditions must meet certain criteria. For example I will not fish during heat wave conditions, but even on the occasions of milder (not a scorcher) weather I will choose my venue based on water size/depth. Luckily for me I have several waters that fit the bill in all but the harshest of heatwave conditions. But at the right time of day even then.

BarryC

Reaction score
Another problem that has reared its head the last few years is the escalation of light lure fishing.
Ive seen light wands of rods that although no doubt strong just do not have the backbone to land a hard fighting summer pike until it is exhausted and in danger.