Strong lure rod and reel

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Hello all. I have my deadbait tackle all sorted, but I'm looking for suggestions for fishing with heavy lures between 50g and 100g. Rod needs to be strong enough for big pike, and preferably not over 8ft long. Reel needs to be light enough for all day casting, but also strong. Not sure if I need a multiplier.

Any suggestions for rod and reel will be gratefully received. I'll be using strong braid, and I need two set ups, so they can't be ridiculously expensive.

Thanks.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A point to consider is, that if you intend to employ Jerk Baits, you ''will'' need to invest in a multiplier. Fixed spool reels just won't do the job, especially with the large lures.

As to rods, any rod that will chuck up to 100gms will handle any pike you're likely to encounter. Length is a personal thing, dependant on if you're fishing from the bank or boat. But anything in the six to seven feet bracket will cover the vast majority of situations. There is a wide selection of lure rods out there now, as well as multipliers. As regards price then it becomes a little more difficult, especially since you'll be requiring two setups ie:- one for you and one for your son. I would council not going for the cheapest deal if possible, as I have heard many tales of woe. But not knowing your budget I'm reluctant to suggest. I hope this helps.

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
Thank you Derek. Before I finally make a purchase I will post up my planned rods and reels so if anyone has a horror story they can warn me. Agree about very low end. What's that phrase again - Buy cheap, buy twice... or something like that.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Value for money wise have a look at the Dragon Guide Select - I have a 7ft 40-80g baitcaster (which easily casts 100g) for the money you can pick them up for its great. I will be using it on Monday at Chew in the BLAC qualifier and hopefully taming a 40lbder with it!

As Derek says, you will need a multiplier but don't scrimp on it - cheapie multipliers are terrible and you will just get frustrated. Buy something like an Abu 5000 / 5500 and properly tuned you will have no issues at all.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Value for money wise have a look at the Dragon Guide Select - I have a 7ft 40-80g baitcaster (which easily casts 100g) for the money you can pick them up for its great. I will be using it on Monday at Chew in the BLAC qualifier and hopefully taming a 40lbder with it!

Best of luck mate.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've been using an Ugly Stick spinning rod for a few years, spinning for catfish up to mid twenties and have also had a lot of smaller fish such as bass and pike. The rod is bullet proof. They are renowned for their strength yet have plenty of feel too. I would recommend this rod very highly.

For reels I've been using an ABU C3 6500 mainly because I had one spare and it fitted the bill in being saltwater proof and strong enough for the river catfish. Perhaps overkill for pike though? I also have a Curado, the latest model that would fit the bill better. It will cast weights down to 7g and has a superb braking and drag system. Much better than the Daiwa Tatula IMO and worth the extra twenty quid. Don't go for a carbon frame reel. You need a metal frame with bigger fish.