Solid reasonably priced spinning reel

bazilrush

Reaction score
Following advice from more experienced anglers on here i am looking to beef up my gear somewhat. Could anyone recommend a reel suitable for lure fishing thats fairly idiot proof (very idiot proof), not silly expensive but hopefully good for a good couple of years? Being suitable for other things aswell would be an advantage as i enjoy most aspects of fishing. Thankyou

john step

Reaction score
Following advice from more experienced anglers on here i am looking to beef up my gear somewhat. Could anyone recommend a reel suitable for lure fishing thats fairly idiot proof (very idiot proof), not silly expensive but hopefully good for a good couple of years? Being suitable for other things aswell would be an advantage as i enjoy most aspects of fishing. Thankyou
You don't seem to have much luck with replies here.
I am a lousy lure angler so I can only suggest you take your lure rod along to a tackle shop and try a few reels on it for feel. How does it sit and can you comfortably access the drag and anti reverse with your particular size of hand.
Does it feel strong and smooth. Can you afford it.
Does it have more than one spool as you want to use it for other things as well.

I can only speculate that a spinning reel is a fixed spool? Not multiplier?
Thats my twopence worth so you are not ignored.

naxian62

Reaction score
I got myself a little ceratec 2000 for my lure rod, I was concerned about the weight, it only weighs 280g. Came with 2 metal spools and wasn't expensive, but the drag is very sketchy and there is an annoying loose feeling to the spool, it hasn't let me down but...
I now find myself using my drennan series 7 feeder reel, super smooth rear drag and after 2.5 years of solid use it still runs great. It's only supplied with shallow spools,(3 I think) but if your using quality braid you can plenty 20-25lb on. Plus you've got a good reel for all round use.

freezerguy

Reaction score
Hi Mate
If you can get your hands on one, the new SPRO micro addiction reel is a beautiful little reel ad is smooth as silk, I paid about 50 quid I think and its a lovely piece of kit
Cheers
Si

robtherake

Reaction score
My Shimano Exage 2500 (front drag) seems fairly bulletproof, with no niggles. Good price, too.

P

pointngo

the reel size depends on your rod length and, to a lesser extent, casting weight but an exage fc or daiwa exceler are both good reels.

I prefer certain reels for certain situations though; a like daiwa's for 3000 size and below but prefer shimano's at 4000 size. Personal preference really but I find the daiwa's feel lighter to the touch when using small lures (hard to explain but they seem to wind in easier than shimano's which makes the set-up more sensitive in your hand).