Lure Choices

pikepro1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what your lure choices are when faced with different water conditions? How much do you think about lure colour or is it more about presentation and location for you? Would be interesting to read your thoughts!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Are we talking river fishing, or still water? For example, in ''river'' fishing water conditions can often include, carrying extra water which is often coloured to varying degree's, ie:- tinged to dirty with an increased flow. All of which has an impact on lure selection, and also makes location difficult. Faced with such conditions I personally would opt for a lure with good vibration/lure frequency. Spinnerbait for example, this is a cracking search lure, the highly coloured versions would be my choice. The working depth of the lure is also a consideration. I have singled out the spinnerbait simply due to the fact they are so versatile.

For still water situations I would still stick with the high viz colours, but utilize the soft plastic lures. This would be for canals or drains which are usually of no great depth. Those soft plastics, especially in the slow sink versions are often devastatingly effective. Good luck.

eelsfootinn

Reaction score
On the advice of Pointngo, I recently bought a soft weedless frog. Also got a jitterbug and two large Hi Los. The only difficult bit now is finding the right type of water in the right weather to be able to fish for pike without putting them at serious risk. We're currently just looking at these lures at home. :(

P

pointngo

Lure choice is about everything you mention and everything behind each.

It's not a small subject. But, as we all know, pike can sometimes be properly on the feed and will hit anything you throw at them. Lure choice doesn't matter so much when the fishing is good but it becomes much more important when they aren't annihilating them or in bad conditions, which can be a lot of the time.

Certain lures suit certain situations better than others and if you tie that in with location and also very importantly imho, colour, then you're half way there.

How you retrieve the lure is another very important consideration and each lure is different in that respect if you want the best out of it.