Drop shotting, Jigging and wire traces....

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I recently read of an angler getting bitten off while lure fishing for Perch and Zander... He was using a jighead on a clip tied direct to fluorocarbon...
Do you chaps use a trace, or do you fish the same way....? I'm having fears of leaving hooks in fish and although I crush my barbs as a matter of course I wouldn't want to leave a jighead in a fish...

I'm wondering if this was a one off..... Or am I just worrying too much....?

smudger172

Reaction score
I have been fishing at Grafham for the last six years throughout the predator season and the majority of the anglers are using fluorocarbon hook links. Some of these are very well known names. There argument is that when using wire it is to noisy and they do not get bitten of that often. In my opinion once if too many. I have been using coated wire and still catch my fair share.

flightliner

Reaction score
A trace,better safe than sorry.Just my opinion but I reckon when a predator is up for a meal a trace wont put off its stiking.

naxian62

Reaction score
I think it should be a matter of course.
ALWAYS use a trace when old esox is lurking.
Using Drennan Soft Strand atm, very soft and supple, although a jack will more than likely f*** up the trace!
Never understood the problem of catching one or two pike whilst targeting another species, aren't all fish welcome ?

greenie62

Reaction score
How do you know if there are not pike present.................

A local day-ticket water I fish has no pike - plenty of perch - the owner has never put any pike in, nor have anyone else, never seen any - e.g. when bringing in silver fish or dropshotting for perch, unlike other local waters!
Not even any rumours of a pike in there! :eek:

alsoran

Reaction score
You get to know which of your local waters are pike free tbh. But, if in doubt use a trace.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Have to say that I use a trace for Jigging/plug work but not for drop shotting... the vids on youtube advocate just using a fluoro link, but paranoia has me now setting up with an uptrace, I also crush the barbs on all my hooks as I don't want to leave hooks in fish.

One angler I correspond with is of the opinion that pike and perch can rid themselves of hooks easily, but to my mind the weak link is the knot twixt trace and line, consequently if you do snap off the trace would still be attached.

P

pointngo

This has been discussed to death on numerous lure and predator forums over the years, with polls on how many people have caught/found dead pike with lures in their mouths, as you do with bait traces, and people from both sides give valid arguments.

From having the initial stance of "if there's pike present, wire must be used" my outlook has softened somewhat, after a lot of deliberation, although my personal choice of material hasn't changed.. here's my tuppence worth.

Fluoro can be bitten through, fact! I've seen evidence of 140lb fluoro bitten clean through by a moderate fish and witnessed 20lb fc being bitten through by (literally) everyone I know who uses it for perch and zander.

The way I see it is that fc, and hard mono, is dangerous for any sort of pike leader or trace no matter what breaking strain.

Zander can bite through fc but it appears to be rare (probably to do with teeth density). Never found zander to be put off by wire but perhaps it might (a big might imho) have a softer feel to their mouths when dropshotting (can't see it personally after watching zander feed in a tank and seeing the angles they take and point of attack).

With single hook lures, like shads on jigheads, evidence from lure anglers suggests that pike can get rid of them in most cases. This is where I've softened my opinion and have conceded that it probably isn't a particularly big problem, especially if it's a barbless hook.

When a stinger treble is added then wire must always be used as the main leader and stinger. Whenever it comes to potentially leaving any treble in a pikes throat then fc is unsuitable imo, especially in the 20lb range which zander stingers would be, and down to 5 or 6lb fc for perch!

Saying that, I still use wire for everything from perch to pike and am of the opinion that I don't want to risk leaving anything in a fish if it's avoidable. Unless fishing for perch in a clear, shallow venue then I personally can't really see much use for fluoro in freshwater predator fishing.

One thing I would say is don't believe the hype. Youtube is full of people trying to make a name for themselves and their primary concern isn't fish welfare, and by advocating the use of fc and other, ethically debateable, practices/methods they see an opportunity to appear "on the cutting edge" of uk fishing. They ain't.

Sorry if I've waffled (this is actually the short version :D) but it's a subject that hasn't got a definitive answer. No agreement has ever been made between fc and non-fc users and it never will. Consider the pro's and con's yourselves and make an informed, personal, decision.

btw, Anglian Water made a rule change last year which means any predator fishing must be done with a wire leader.

P

pointngo

I've since found out that Anglian Water did a U-turn not long after and amended it to only require wire for pike fishing.

That is down to pressure from zander anglers fishing at Rutland for big numbers of small fish.

Backing down for cash is a big backwards step in the long term by AW imho and I can't understand why someone there can't come up with a proper set of rules... it's really not that hard. :confused: