Drop shot fishing essex

frenc1i

Reaction score
Hello, I'm quite new to the game and fancy drop shot fishing for Perch, can anybody recommend any good locations in essex to try?.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I would say any water that has large perch would do... are you a member of any clubs...? Billericay, Chelmsford, Ongar all local clubs with waters with good perch in them... there is the Rivers Lea, Roding, Chelmer, Can, Wid, Ter, Blackwater... so there is plenty to go at... a lot of commercials won't allow drop-shotting and I would venture that the perch fishing doesn't really start to get productive till September time...

I'd recommend joining a club and trying their waters

I also have had limited success with drop shotting and have had more fish with lightweight jigs...

Have a look here for some enlightening and entertaining info...

journal 2015

The venues these chaps fish are not local (midlands I think) but they seem to have some good results with small jigs and their methods are bringing them some success

sumtime

Reaction score
Looks an excellent link, Arthur, cheers, I'll be perusing that lot later.

wa1115

Reaction score
I would say any water that has large perch would do... are you a member of any clubs...? Billericay, Chelmsford, Ongar all local clubs with waters with good perch in them... there is the Rivers Lea, Roding, Chelmer, Can, Wid, Ter, Blackwater... so there is plenty to go at... a lot of commercials won't allow drop-shotting and I would venture that the perch fishing doesn't really start to get productive till September time...

I'd recommend joining a club and trying their waters

I also have had limited success with drop shotting and have had more fish with lightweight jigs...

Have a look here for some enlightening and entertaining info...

journal 2015

The venues these chaps fish are not local (midlands I think) but they seem to have some good results with small jigs and their methods are bringing them some success
Never knew that about September time, maybe that explains my last couple of outings, first couple of weeks of the river season was ok tho?

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I think it's summat to do with the spring fry starting to get mouth sized and easy prey, and possibly it's a bit to do with an autumn feeding spell before over-wintering... I have found that meaty baits like worm and prawn seem to be good at this time... (big amino/protein hits) which is why lures work as a small fish/worm/cray imitation is more filling than a maggot or two

wa1115

Reaction score
I started to drop shot in February and it was brilliant, I would lose count of how many I caught, sounds about right what you say about the fry. And when they shawl up in winter it's even easier.

john step

Reaction score
I started to drop shot in February and it was brilliant, I would lose count of how many I caught, sounds about right what you say about the fry. And when they shawl up in winter it's even easier.

Is that because the shawl keeps them warm??:wh:wh

wa1115

Reaction score
yeah good one, what's the correct way of saying it? I had this conversation with the other half last night and she said shawl.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Is that because the shawl keeps them warm??:wh:wh
shoal1
ʃəʊl/
noun
noun: shoal; plural noun: shoals
a large number of fish swimming together.
"a shoal of Perch"