Don't give up on that weird lure......

terry m

Reaction score
that has been in the box for years and has never caught a single fish.

For me that was a large fat floating plug that looks like a large wallowing frog on retrieve.

Seemed like a good idea when I bought it years ago but alas was not a 'producer'. Until today. I cast the fat frog around an Avon weir pool a few times then bang, the surface exploded as a big girl smashed into it.

A great fight and at 21lb exactly, my biggest lure caught pike by some way. A great couple of hours.

Don't give up on those unproductive lures that have sat in your box for years.

As for this lure fishing lark, it is growing on me rather quickly. :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Well done Terry, and another classic example of how not to judge a lure on appearance alone.

I well remember the abuse I suffered at the hands of my fishing mates many years ago when I first clipped a Spinner Bait onto the trace. None of them were laughing by the end of the day, and as you know lures don't come any weirder than the SB, visibly anyway. And yes, lure fishing can be devastatingly effective.

steve2

Reaction score
I switched back to spinnerbait a couple of years ago after giving them a miss for a few years. I appear to be the only one using them were I fish. The results were very good, plenty of pike and perch. Found that the small ones in the 1/4 to 1/2 ounce range to be better than the large ones on my waters.
A lot of the pike were doubles, so you don't always big lures.