The crays

jake182

Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea how to stop those f&£king cray fish from smashing my dead bait to bits? Does it get better now its winter?

wanderer

Reaction score
Yeah, find the succour with the biggest claw bang him on the head and stick him on as bait.

jake182

Reaction score
?? Does that work? Cause I've killed hundreds of them lol

jake182

Reaction score
Would a paternostered bait not just lie flat against the up trace?

john step

Reaction score
River or stillwater? It may be a paternoster would work better in the flow and a poly ball pop up in still?

jake182

Reaction score
Yeah it's river, so the flow will stop the deads laying against the up trace?

wanderer

Reaction score
I think it's illegal to return a signal cray to the water dead or alive, or any part of it?
You are right, but the prats that make the rules are not dealing with the problem, Catfish love em stock them and watch the problem disappear.

jake182

Reaction score
I stab them in the head, killed dead, some of them are blood huge!! Maybe not fish with them then

john step

Reaction score
Yeah it's river, so the flow will stop the deads laying against the up trace?

I think so ....if its a strong enough flow....if not the poly balls would work in a very slow flow....try both??
There is nothing wrong with suspended deads under a float either.

There seems a fixed idea in some people that deads have to be fished on or near the bottom.

You can use a smaller dead and point them "up" under a lighter float and set up
and tweek them sink and draw style OR fix a dead horizontal live bait style and let the flow move it trotting style. Vary depths to suit.

Both take pike. best of luck.

P

pointngo

You can fish a paternostered dead in stillwater or a slow river but you need to tighten it up so the float comes towards you and creates an angle between it and the lead.. the bait just hangs down then.

A mono lead link longer than you'd normally use gives you extra line to create the angle and the sunken float paternoster is bang on for it.

I've even pva'd long lead weaklinks before and fished a paternostered bait 10ft off bottom... you can also then alter the depth of your bait without recasting with long links.. it's all about the angle. :)

ciprinus

Reaction score
I stab them in the head, killed dead, some of them are blood huge!! Maybe not fish with them then

get a few together then stick em live in a big pot over an open fire and boil the buggers, when bright red turn out into a large plate, sprinkle with salt and dip in a cajun sauce. soon makes you appreciate the damn things hahaha!!

Last edited:

smudger172

Reaction score
Jake try this..
This is a method i dreamt up perch fishing on a river. works for livebait or dead.

First slide a float stop onto the line, then a small pilot float then another stop this locks the pilot float.

Next another stop and a bead. now for the main float then the lead and finally the trace.

Set the depth from the main float to the bait that you want to fish and lock the pilot float 3 feet above the main float.

Now the clever bit. Cast at 45 degrees across the river towards the far bank then slide a backlead onto the line and slide that out towards the line you want to fish..

It takes a bit of practice but you can hold a deadbait or livebait mid stream. even let line out and slowly trot the bait downstream.

One bit of advice you have to wind quickly when a take happens..

john10

Reaction score
Oh I'm so glad we don't have much of a a cray problem up here! My son who lives in Milton Keynes has been driven to distraction with them. Virtually no bait is safe and he's watched them in clear water appear from the muddy bottom to take his bait.
The only place I've come across them in this area were two ponds I used to fish at Trowey near Sheffield. The water was full of them, released I believe from a crayfish farm which used to be upstream. A good perch water and lobworms were a good bait - until the crays found them. Very slow dips of the float were a tell tale sign that they'd arrived.

Out of the water I've found them quite aggressive, waving their claws at you as they retreated backwards into the water. They are one of natures survivors and from what I hear, near impossible to get rid of. A bit like an aquatic cockroach (ish).