Knot 2 Kinky

B

binka

Has anyone tried this for trace material?

I've been hearing very good things about it.

I'm looking at the 0.008/6lb for short paternoster traces to give me a bit of insurance when livebaiting for tackle shy perch where small pike can be a nuisance.

john step

Reaction score
I was looking at an American product, Steve; similar idea but different materials, I think. I'll see if I can find the link.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

This stuff: TUF LEADER | The Friendly Fisherman Online Store

Looks good. Anybody out there used it?
A mate swears by a soft pike trace called TRESS I think. Can't seem to source it now but this stuff sounds promising.

naxian62

Reaction score
That "Tress" stuff is called, Cannelle Supratress. And like many of these finer wires that state they can be knotted, it's damn hard to tie up without it pigtailing.
When my present supply of Drennan soft strand has gone I'll be moving on to a Ti wire of some make or other. Can anyone comment on the "e-sox" stuff?

B

binka

I took the plunge and ordered some which arrived today and on first impressions I'm very impressed.

Super thin in 6lb strength and the first thing I did was double back the end and compress it down whilst running a firm grip right to the end of the loop and hey presto it sprang back unkinked!

I haven't knotted it yet and at the price I won't be practising either so i'll let you know how it performs in practice.

john step

Reaction score
I took the plunge and ordered some which arrived today and on first impressions I'm very impressed.

Super thin in 6lb strength and the first thing I did was double back the end and compress it down whilst running a firm grip right to the end of the loop and hey presto it sprang back unkinked!

I haven't knotted it yet and at the price I won't be practising either so i'll let you know how it performs in practice.

Which one was the one you ordered? Very interested. John

B

binka

Which one was the one you ordered? Very interested. John

Sorry John it was the Knot 2 Kinky, I should have a full review of the stuff after tomorrow providing the usual nuisance pike turns up to try and put the corkscrew effect in to it :)

B

binka

Ok,

I said I would come back and offer some sort of opinion on this stuff and so here goes.

Overall I like it, but I have dislikes too.

Dislikes:

It’s rather expensive on face value but if you consider that you don’t have to bin it after old esox has had a chomp on it and spiralled it to fuzz, like ordinary trace wire, then there’s a chance it might even work out better and whilst it’s impossible to say for sure, I reckon it did for me.

Maybe that should have been a like?

It also comes packaged as a rather curious coil which is bound by the type of seals that you used to see around bread bags years ago, for the price I think it ought to come on a spool…

Also, I could not for the life of me knot the stuff despite trying repeatedly and following instructions on the back of the packet and youtube…

I ended up crimping it.

Likes…

Now this is weird…

As the marketing blurb states the wire actually stretches and it feels weird when you do it, a bit like pulling a spring balance to its limit and then finding a bit more beyond it. The reason I like this is simply because I bought the 6lb test with the intention of using it for perch where, in certain situations, I needed the insurance of wire for the toothy critters and I reckon the stretch really assists when big perch are doing their usual, violent head shaking thing.

It’s also nice and fine.

I think it’s designed as a lure leader as it’s very stiff compared to many others so forget static deadbaiting but that stiffness helps if you want to use it as a paternoster trace which is what I’ve been doing.

It’s no miracle cure, I think there are far more subtle and thinner trace materials on the market but it’s worth considering for its rightful purpose…

And paternosters :)