Beginners help to light lure fishing!

simon_n96

Reaction score
I've always been a keen angler on the River Ribble close to where I live. I mostly did feeder fishing but recently the idea of light lure fishing has peak my interest. I like the idea of going lightweight and constantly working unlike feeder fishing. I'm trying find a good rod and reel set up to allow me to cast 2g to 10g lures within a budget of about £100 - £120. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

naxian62

Reaction score
Take a look at Dragon rods, i've got the Nanolite 3-14g, an absolute peach of a rod. Which I think was around £90 but they also have a cheaper range. If I was in the market for a new reel to go with it ,I'd be looking at the Diawa Ninjas. Two spools, lightweight and not too fast retrieve rate.
Tight Lines

old_school

Reaction score
Abu vigilantie and enough change to get a decent balanced reel, fox warrior maybe? Braid and a load of light lures.
I imagine the Lancaster canal will offer good perch fishing when the weather cools off a bit

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Spend as much as you can....

Rod - have a look and see if you can find a Savage Gear Finesse on sale - could be found for about £40 and for than money nothing comes close.

Reel - any shimano or Daiwa 1000-2500 size, something like a shimano nexave is in the price range.

Braid - spend as much on the braid as you can - £20-£30 for some good quality japanese 8 strand. Sunline or J Braid - your braid will have much more of an affect on your fishing that the reel. A better reel will be nicer to use, but would not necessarily improve your fishing, better braid will.

Lures - AGM, £20 will buy you more than you could need.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Lures up to about 30g 20-25lb braid is ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpo_marx

Reaction score
simon_n96

If you have an account with facebook then it may help to join Drop Shotting & Micro Jigs. Most of the Questions you need answering have been asked before and will be found by scrolling back plus you might find drop shotting an interesting alternative to jigging a lure. Tackle questions will also be answered although everyone can only have an opinion on the rods/reels that they have used, i.e. you cannot say that your rod is the best if you haven't used the others. Most of the members are helpful and will show photo's of catches but it would be more helpful to get to know the people who are more free with advice than to ask someone exactly where they caught fish as people who have spent time and effort finding any hotspots would want to guard the location. You might find one or two members live fairly local and would meet up with you on the bank. All waters have been covered in the two years since I joined with probable preference for canals, rivers, pools and salt water in that order. Do not despair if you do not catch as much as other people it may not be your fault, I took up lure fishing 2 years ago (mainly canals) and consider myself fairly experienced now but if the fish are not there in numbers then you cannot catch many. Most of the new lures will have been tried and tested by members and I can confirm with a previous reply that AGM Discount is a fantastic shop to get your lures and bits from with their usual reliable service.

steve2

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Daiwa Exceler Ultralight Spin 2-10g. It a joy to cast with and great fun to with small pike and perch. Worth a look at if you can find one.
AGM for lure I can recommend.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Lures up to about 30g 20-25lb braid is ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless I'm mistaken the opening post said lures from 2-10 grams. A good quality braid of around 10lb bs/.6 PE is more suitable.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk