The lure of lures......

terry m

Reaction score
The last few years I have spent more time lure fishing for pike, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. But the price of lures is astonishing.

I tend to fish large jerkbaits, or large surface lures or glidebaits, and many of these are around the £20 mark.

What is the maximum you would spend on a lump of colourful plastic adorned with hooks?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the maximum you would spend on a lump of colourful plastic adorned with hooks?

I am told that certain MP's, and some members of the judiciary. have been known to pay very large sums for such . . . . . accessories . . . .

Seriously though, I have seen some of the prices for jerk baits (not too sure what the first part of that name is aimed at) and they are astronomical. But then, if they work then they are a good investment rather than a cost . . . . .

The only lure fishing I ever really did was in the autumn in Norway at the time when the predator fish were really feeding up ready for the ice cover to the lakes and most -rivers. On many afternoons it could be almost a fish-a-cast and although not too large they were very fit fish that fought really well.

Mostly it was using spinners and spoons, many of which I made myself in the long and cold winter nights.

I have been rather tempted to give drop-shotting a go on my local K&A Canal for the Perch.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I would not spend 20 quid on a lure out of principle. I usually buy lures when i come across them in sales and sort of stock up rather than go out and buy them as i use them.

Looking at some of the lures out there i often wonder how hard can it really be to knock some up myself. I know the manufacturers often have publicity blurb telling us how its all carefully shaped and balanced but i cant help but look at some of them and think..thats just a lump of plastic or wood with some hooks attached.

I dont do enough lure fishing (or truth be told realy enjoy it enough) to have taken the plunge to make my own but perhaps thats something you could consider especially if your using large jerk baits. What have you got to lose? A bit of time maybe and i can imagine it would be very satisfying to catch on your own creation.

john step

Reaction score
I don't enjoy lure fishing, probably because I am useless at it.
Therefore I wouldn't pay anything now although in the dim and distant past I did lash out a few pennies on lures which was a complete waste.

My "lure " fishing now comprise of sink and draw deadbait. Very effective. I don't mean to upset the experts like Derek but why use a substitute lump of plastic when the real thing is better?:wh

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I lost an 8" rubber trout in the Wye a few weeks back; got it caught on a sub-surface snag. Having cost £12.00 I was determined to retrieve it so set about concocting a crude 'otter' - a log basically, which I repeatedly slung out into the current, bale arm open of course...but to no avail. Then two canoes appeared! Suddenly, I was pro-paddler - splendid people! I gave them my friendliest smile and asked if they'd just.....they clearly saw through my smile to the truth behind it - and sailed on by!! B*****ds!!

B

binka

I don't enjoy lure fishing, probably because I am useless at it.
Therefore I wouldn't pay anything now although in the dim and distant past I did lash out a few pennies on lures which was a complete waste.

Thanks John, you saved me having to type out my reply :)

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I think that lures along with a lot of fishing tackle is designed to catch anglers not fish.

bullet

Reaction score
I know this isn't freshwater, but I've been going to the caribbean for my annual holiday for the last few years.
I take loads of gear and have tried all sorts of lures, including 15 to 20 quid plugs.
By far the best lure is a 28 gram £ 2.99 dexter wedge, pretty much everything there will have a go at it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There is something about lures (and floats, and flies) that brings out the artist in people who wouldn't be seen dead in a gallery. Not to mention the inner sorcerer...

I remember a hugely well-informed chap called Ben Maurice-Jones who sold vintage fishing tackle from an indoors stall in Portobello Road (or just off it, anyone remember?) and he showed me a handful of Devon-minnow-style lures, decorated with blue feathers held onto a pinkish, sandy-looking substrate by resin glue. He said they were mesoamerican, and over a thousand years old, explaining that although simpler lures may well have done the job, the anglers of that day thought it worth making their lures as perfect as they could, to impress the gods, as well as the fish, with the earnest importance they attached to their quarry and its pursuit.
While I would never pay for "Art" tackle to hurl into the actual, wet water, it's nice to have the odd bit to look at, and perhaps to inspire one's own tackle-making, isn't it?

wa1115

Reaction score
I don't buy lures any more, and this is only my third season fishing for Pike but have been tying my own Jig-Fly's and doing well on them (and sold a few ?) lures can be expensive and after losing a few at around £12 each (I know not that expensive but to me it is) I decided enough was enough and started to watch tying video's on the Tube and have not looked back. Thanks to the help and advice I got from this forum when I fist started Pike fishing I am thoroughly enjoying both pastimes fishing and tying.
IMG_20161211_172925_zpsst1datqr.jpg~original

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

lureed

Reaction score
Whilst some lures can be individually expensive, when you divide the cost by the number of outings over which they might be used, compared to bait fishing its very cheap. The amount of bait and groundbait some anglers use in a single session can cost scores of pounds. With a relatively few cheapish lures and careful use I can lure fish all season.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've never done well with lure fishing, but in all honesty it's probably due to the fact that it was always a last-ditch method when everything else had failed, so there's little wonder. I keep meaning to try lures for the perch in the roach pool, but the off chance that an outsize roach will take my worm bait affects my choice of method. It hasn't stopped me, however, from building up a fair collection of lures, most of which have yet to see any action.:eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
I saw a similar device in an American advert, lauded as the latest, greatest thing to hit lure fishing. You can get a similar effect by hooking the forefinger of your rod hand around the line - the lure positively throbs! Not that it's helped me catch any more preds on the few occasions that it's been put into practice.:eek:mg:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
I like to adorn mine with glitter and feathers and such shiny things and wobble it... I have a wobble stik :D

wobble_stikIMGP4028(w.800).png

fishing sorcery is what that magic stick is!!! i must have one!!! where do i find such magic? and how much of my soul will it cost me to possess it? please , impart all knowledge to me

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

fishing sorcery is what that magic stick is!!! i must have one!!! where do i find such magic? and how much of my soul will it cost me to possess it? please , impart all knowledge to me

it ok, all is well in this world, i found the magic, in the bay-of-e it can be had and for a very small slice of soul:D

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Most of my fishing this season as been based around lure fishing due to lack of time. Just pick up a few bits and go. I have caught chub to 4lbs, perch to 3lbs, pike to around 10lbs plus some roach and rudd..
So lures do work, you just have to give them a chance. Leave the other tackle at home and you might be surprised what you can catch.
I dread to think how much I spent on my hundreds of lures over the past 40 years but they have caught me many good fish in freshwater and sea.