Circle hooks for Pike

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
Hi I read in one of the Angling weeklies that someone uses circle hooks instead of trebles for Pike. to eliminate deep hooking.
Has anyone on here tried it.
I have caught Tarpon using Circle hooks, never thought about them for Pike.
Maybe something in it.

keora

Reaction score
Just do a search using the words circle hooks on this predator fishing section and you'll get plenty of advice.

Circle hooks ( Mustad Demons) can be good for pike, except that this winter I've had a fairly high proportion of runs with a deadbait on a single circle hood which I've missed.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Just do a search using the words circle hooks on this predator fishing section and you'll get plenty of advice.

Circle hooks ( Mustad Demons) can be good for pike, except that this winter I've had a fairly high proportion of runs with a deadbait on a single circle hood which I've missed.

Why do you think that was?

B

binka

My first ever session using circles got off to a flyer, pike and zander all falling to a textbook hooking in the scissors.

My second session wasn't so successful though, several runs where I wound down to feel the fish for a few seconds before everything went slack.

I persevered after that and in the main I think the theory stacks up, after all we occasionally miss runs on conventional treble hook rigs and I put my experience down to just one of those days but I'm not sure how I would view a prolonged spell of missed runs.

Well worth a go imo and I will continue to use them, I'm sure there was a reason why I had that bad day but I just haven't figured out yet what it was.

B

binka

Does anyone know where I might buy barbless versions on the UK?

I would have to double check Nobby but I'm pretty certain mine are barbless, I got mine from Glasgow Angling Centre and at a good price too.

I do know that the Demons definitely come in a barbless pattern.

keora

Reaction score
Why do you think that was?

I wish I knew. The first two winters I used circle hooks I missed a few takes on the strike, but no more that if I'd used two trebles.

This winter I've missed a lot more. If there's a lot of small pike in the river, in winter they swim off with just the edge of the bait in their jaws and so the hook isn't within the mouth.

I think the best approach with circle hooks is to use small baits, not more than 6 inches, such as sprats, small smelt and half sardines.

With a circle hook, I wind down to the fish about 15 seconds after the float first moves and that usually gets a hook up - until this winter.

Somebody mentioned barbless circle hooks. I use Mustad Demon circles from Glasgow Angling Centre. They have a barb, but it can be easily crushed with pliers. I don't think a barb is necessary with circles because of the curve of the bend and the point which is at 90 degrees to the shank.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I use the sakuma 440 circle hooks and have found them to be very good for perch and pike. I crush the barb down with a small pair of round nose pliers and that tends to break it off.

These are readily available on ebay or tackle shops that do sea tackle.

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
I have only been using a single hook in the tail of a herring or mackeral. and through the eyes of sardines and sprats. with a size 8 barbless treble in the centre of the fish. I strike as soon as the take. I have done this since the 70s.
at one time I used to bend the hooks. so 2 prongs were straight and slid into the body of the dead bait. leaving only one prong to hook in. plus the single.

Now with the thought of using circle hooks. what is the best rig ? and how is the dead bait attached. as the hook has to pull out of the bait to hook the fish.
also if it is barbless, can the dead bait slip off.

keora

Reaction score
I use a single circle hook on a wire trace about 12 or 15 inches long. The point is pushed through the hard flesh on the tail, about a quarter of an inch from the start of the rays of the tail fin.

The shape of the circle hook means that the deadbait won't fall off on casting unless you use excessive force on the cast. So you don't need a barb in my view. See this photo of a circle hook.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/mustad-39951npbn-1xf-demon-pft-circle~14030.html

john step

Reaction score
My first ever session using circles got off to a flyer, pike and zander all falling to a textbook hooking in the scissors.

My second session wasn't so successful though, several runs where I wound down to feel the fish for a few seconds before everything went slack.

I persevered after that and in the main I think the theory stacks up, after all we occasionally miss runs on conventional treble hook rigs and I put my experience down to just one of those days but I'm not sure how I would view a prolonged spell of missed runs.

Well worth a go imo and I will continue to use them, I'm sure there was a reason why I had that bad day but I just haven't figured out yet what it was.

Binka that mirrors my experiments this winter with my newly acquired circles.
As I was experimenting I was philosophical about the missed runs. I must admit that on those occasions when a journey was involved, after a couple of missed runs I reverted to standard trebles so not to blank entirely.
When connecting with circles I thought, thats it sorted. Then the next time its not the same.
I did experiment with a hair off the back of the circle as I had seen on You Tube. A completed disaster for me.
A few seasons ago I was using a large single with a longish hair and I must say I am coming round to the thought that it was more efficient usually hooking in the corner or just inside the mouth.

I have however just had two sessions on my newly acquired Wonder Tress Braid and although its too soon to be certain I feel the feel of the braid trace will lead to fewer missed runs. I have only used it for pike so far but I actually bought it for zander which I havn't had chance to try for on it yet.

Its worth the effort s of trying different things to make life interesting. If it was all stone bonking certain I would take up knitting.:wh