Homemade Jerk Bait

wa1115

Reaction score
Not posted for a while due to work commitments and a lack of fishing opportunities, but I have decided to give making wooden jerk bait's a go, so this is my first attempt.
I sourced some tulip wood for my lures as its soft enough to work with, I have never done any kind of woodwork before and had no tools, so I was given some from my grandma out of my granddad's shed as he recently passed and they wasn't getting used (Thanks Grandad!)
IMG_20170212_214254_hdr_zpsilg63sns.jpg~original

First I found some plans off of the interweb printed them off and got to work making some blanks.
I decided on some lead for weight and drilled the holes shoved it in and then coved the holes with wood filler and sanded down. I have used screw eyes from Lure Factors and used epoxy to seal them in tight.
IMG_20170217_161155_hdr_zpsibbtrukn.jpg~original

I have ordered some Createx airbrush paint as I have also been given a setup for airbrushing but as the Createx isn't due until Wednesday I used a good old spray cans for the paint on this one.
RIMG1438_zpsxjhiqhqr.jpg~original

Thinking outside the box as I only had white and grey I decided on a novel approach for a bit of colour, finished off with a couple of layers of epoxy to harden it off and give a shine I present the 'Pike Avenger' 40g Jerk Bait
RIMG1441_zps9jcjquai.jpg~original

RIMG1446_zpsrc1wveny.jpg~original

RIMG1451_zpsacmazeho.jpg~original

RIMG1453_zpswfqswptl.jpg~original

I have just primed 4 more ready for the Arrival of my airbrush paint on Wednesday, will put some pics up (probably weekend) when completed.

terry m

Reaction score
They look very impressive, I like the subdued colours.

Will be interesting to understand the action once they are fully kitted with hooks and split rings.

wa1115

Reaction score
Cheers, I did have a little test and it jerks as expected side to side action around 2ft under the surface, the other 4 I have ready for spraying are slightly heavier and have a slow sink so hopefully a foot or 2 deeper, I expect them to do well in spring or early on a summer morning (fingers crossed)
Not sure what size split ring or hooks to use? The Jerk is 12cm.

terry m

Reaction score
Would advise erring on the large size for split rings to ensure that the hooks do not get hung up. I would start at 10mm then reduce to 8mm if you feel the need.

I often hear people saying that they want to reduce hook sizes on lures as the OEM's use large hooks. I am of the opposite view. having seen how quickly pike spit non natural lures - including rubbers - I would be trying to ensure that the first chomp gets hooked up. My advice would be to use a similar hook size as you would find on a shop bought lure of similar dimensions. The difficulty is that actual hook dimensions - especially in larger sizes - can vary greatly between manufacturers. So measure dimensions required rather than following a nominal size.

wa1115

Reaction score
Well the airbrush didn't quite go to plan, so on further searching of the internet I stumbled upon photo finishing. Therefore I have decided that this is much easier and have 3 ready for the back and belly painting (with a normal brush) and the acrylics I ordered (I will find a use for them) once done I will seal with epoxy and hopefully land a pike or 2.
IMG_20170226_183129_hdr_zpsdwk0a390.jpg~original

steve2

Reaction score
I have recently put size 1/0 and 2/0 hooks on lures that look about the same sizes as yours attached to 10mm split rings.

Wilko

Reaction score
They're not bad at all mate, what did you finish them with and how did you secure the eyes?
I've had a long lay off too and have started making my own.

Last edited: