Perch on prawns (again)

naxian62

Reaction score
Fellas a little help needed.
2 waters near to me where I know 100% the perch are being caught on prawn, but I can t get a touch. It's like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. Worms fine, but then the carp come along and well you know the rest.
1st off which prawns you guys using? Been trying some from Iceland ( cooked and ready to eat ones ) but they seem really soft and mushy when thawed.
2nd I,ve only got Tesco, Co op and Iceland to shop at so preferably a product from either of they places.

Cheers and as always tight lines y'all.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I doubt you're doing anything wrong. I fish a water which I know contains perch but the carp simply love prawns, go wild for them and beat the perch to them. Bizarrely, the only time the carp stood off I bagged up on roach!!

Have you, or can you speak, spoken to anyone who has caught the perch and compare the approaches or might you simply be in the wrong swim?

I've used prawns, raw and cooked, from different places and the carp get them first - simply because they love them all, I'm guessing.:)

Keep trying, you have to strike gold eventually by the law of averages - if the perch are a feasible target.

Best of fortune. :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd say it has nothing to do with the type of prawn your using, just them frustrating perch that seem to disappear some seasons on certain waters, my local lake included.

B

binka

I don't know how far back the op's question originates from in terms of his experiences but I find that perch can go awol around now for several weeks as they group up and dim the lights ready for spawning.

Find them as they're coming out of it and like me last season you will be in for a real red letter day, several in fact if you've got the time to keep on 'em before they disperse again.

What I'm getting at is that if this is only a recent thing it could just be locating 'em that's causing the problem, if it stems back further it could be a combination of location and/or feeding times.

I would be inclined to go with Phil and suggest tapping up those that have been catching, tell 'em you're just curious and only interested in carp and if they won't spill the beans by a decent camo outfit and take a pair of binoculars along ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
As I've posted before, I've found that prawns can be very effective for perch on a given day/water, but I wouldn't call it a first, or even second/third choice bait. It can often be a dead loss as many other fish also like prawn - I've had most success with jumbo prawns dunked in predator plus but my top three methods would be live bait, lures and lobworm. I've also found that red maggots and caster can be very effective in winter, especially if you're fishing for roach at the time............