Eel Thread

naxian62

Reaction score
An Eel thread sounds like a top idea.
I'll start, cos I had my first of the year last night. only around the 2lb mark, but it's a start. Oh and a Pike of 12:2 which really went on the lighter gear. You wouldn't think pike of that size would bother with such small baits. It took a tiny little rudd but on that one I'd cut the head off.
So far 3 short evening trips have produced 4 double figure pike!?
Next Eeler, please.

B

binka

I'm off tomorrow for an eel session.

I will be avoiding the brighter first few hours and I'm looking to get settled down around mid-afternoon into the evening and possibly late into the night if things are happening.

Today would have been good with the dull conditions but tomorrow is set to be several degrees warmer so a bit of a like for like trade off there.

Really looking forward to it, I'm planning to fish a bunch of worms on one rod over a baited area and a piece of steak or smoked kipper on the other, away from the baited area.

I think I build myself up too much with regards to the chances of banking an eel on the first session of the campaign but I think I'm gonna keep the gear rigged up and try to get a few sessions in.

What are you using for leader material?

I've been reading up quite a lot on various eel websites and Korda Armour Cord in 50lb seems to be the consensus for keeping things supple and ensuring no bite offs occur.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't think it matters much regarding hooklengths as eels have very poor eyesight. One thing I do know is they love a chunk of pork luncheon meat.
I caught loads on the Colne when I was trying to catch chub. By best was 4lb.

smudger172

Reaction score
I have Saturday night penciled in for my first Eel session for this year. Bait will consist of raw bacon (my personal favorite) Prawns and luncheon meat..
I stay away from fish baits as long as possible because of the pike issue.
Regarding hooklinks 15lb kryston with an inch of shrink tube just slid over the eye of a long series size 8 hook.
Takes generally are either 0 to 50 in a second or a four inch lift that holds for 10 seconds then drops back. or you can strike on the hold with a 25% hooking success rate..
This is from my all time favorite water, although its a 180 mile round trip its worth it.
And the best thing on 250 acres i will probably be the only one there..

B

binka

Bait will consist of raw bacon (my personal favorite)

I may well give bacon a try tomorrow, I was in the supermarket earlier looking at various things including smoked fish and diced steak and I came away undecided.

I don't want to make a rash(er) decision :eek:mg:

I am serious about trying the bacon though :)

Edited to add: I've been seriously hindered by eels in the past when using cheese for chub and barbel on the river, I wonder if anyone does any good on it with the eels?

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I have always found eels fascinating just how do they get into some of the waters I have found them in. They don’t have any streams in or out of them some are just ponds in the middle of nowhere.
When I fished for them I only ever used a trace if there were pike present in the water. Always caught well on small half baits or worms did catch a few on prawns.
My biggest regret looking back was that I gave up on a water because of the amount of carp I was catching following a restocking. I know that this water did contain at that time bigger eels than I caught; my best from here was just under 6lbs. I did see 1 or 2 in the shallows when the water levels dropped that I would have put in the region of 8-9lb.
This was on a small farm lake of approx 1 acre with an overflow to small stream.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Fishing single (hopefully) barbless hooks, you needn't worry about bite offs from pike as they will soon lose them without any issues.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When targeting eels a friend of mine used to use a short (2 to 3inch) wire hooklength on a semi fixed set up, this prevented any deep hooking. He always used partridge hooks because he reckond they where the sharpest. All the eels he caught where lip hooked and so easy to unhook by simply holding the shank of the hook with pliers and rotating the hook out with the fish held half out of the water.

thecrow

Reaction score
Fishing single (hopefully) barbless hooks, you needn't worry about bite offs from pike as they will soon lose them without any issues.

I am sorry but that is just about the worse piece of advice I have ever heard and shows a complete disregard for another species, what evidence do you have for making such a statement? thankfully most anglers would not think like this and take precautions with their rigs.

Having just looked at your profile I am just amazed that you would advocate this irresponsible action.

Last edited:
B

binka

Well it's been an interesting afternoon, the running tally stands at Eels 2 Binka 0 :eek:mg:

My left hand bobbin was dancing around most of the afternoon but it just wouldn't go (lob sized dendra and three dendra heads on a size 6) and despite removing the lead and freelining for a while it still wouldn't go.

Small fish aren't very prolific on this water and don't tend to cause a nuisance, the carp and perch make off with it at a rate of knots and the bream are on their honeymoon with the whole set up being a bit too crude for a roach to bother with so I'm a bit stuck for a theory :confused:

The pulls were slow two inch lifts which held for a split second before returning, never developing into anything more positive except for a small jack.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
I am sorry but that is just about the worse piece of advice I have ever heard and shows a complete disregard for another species, what evidence do you have for making such a statement? thankfully most anglers would not think like this and take precautions with their rigs.

Having just looked at your profile I am just amazed that you would advocate this irresponsible action.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you.
Pike are hooked many times by anglers targeting other species and by snatching fish as they are being reeled in without permanent damage. Do you advocate wire traces for tench, perch or chub fishing with worms?... I don't think so.
So get off your high horse with me and get real.

thecrow

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you.
Pike are hooked many times by anglers targeting other species and by snatching fish as they are being reeled in without permanent damage. Do you advocate wire traces for tench, perch or chub fishing with worms?... I don't think so.
So get off your high horse with me and get real.

Oh dear I seem to have hit a nerve, I will ask you again ............. what proof do you have that what you said is true?

No I don't advocate wire traces for the species you mention in fact I never mentioned wire traces at all, accidental hook ups of pike on baits that are not usually recognised as baits for predators will always happen there is nothing that can be done about it other than stopping fishing altogether which is never going to happen. There are products on the market that are ideal for Eel fishing that IMO (formed from reading what other anglers use) will not put the Eel off taking a bait but that will give an angler a much increased chance of landing any unintended pike takes without leaving the pike with a hook in it.

Your attitude towards any criticism of your opinion (because that's all it is) is indicative of single species groups and is one of the reasons I no longer belong to any and never will again, volunteering within such a group does not make your opinion fact but what it does do is demand that advice on whatever species put the safety and welfare of the fish first before anything else, unfortunately in this case IMO you have not.

Perhaps if you were not so indignant towards any opinions other than your own your mind would be open enough to think about what you said and the fact that you have no evidence that what you said is more than just your opinion.

If you do have any incontrovertible evidence that what you said was fact I do hope that you will share it with us because I and I am sure others will be very interested to read it.

This is from the national Anguilla Club the hook length material is interesting although imo there are better materials on sale now.

upload a gif

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well it's been an interesting afternoon, the running tally stands at Eels 2 Binka 0 :eek:mg:

My left hand bobbin was dancing around most of the afternoon but it just wouldn't go (lob sized dendra and three dendra heads on a size 6) and despite removing the lead and freelining for a while it still wouldn't go.

Small fish aren't very prolific on this water and don't tend to cause a nuisance, the carp and perch make off with it at a rate of knots and the bream are on their honeymoon with the whole set up being a bit too crude for a roach to bother with so I'm a bit stuck for a theory :confused:

The pulls were slow two inch lifts which held for a split second before returning, never developing into anything more positive except for a small jack.

Any crayfish in the water, Steve ?

B

binka

Any crayfish in the water, Steve ?

No Skip, I've never encountered any or heard of anyone else coming across them but it's a good suggestion and certainly not out of the question.

There are Ruffe in the water and it did cross my mind whether they were the culprits as they often take on more than they can chew.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No Skip, I've never encountered any or heard of anyone else coming across them but it's a good suggestion and certainly not out of the question.

There are Ruffe in the water and it did cross my mind whether they were the culprits as they often take on more than they can chew.

What you're describing is very much what I'd expect from crayfish. If there aren't any in there then first of all Give Thanks and then maybe try popping half a dendra out on a small hook just to see if it is Tommy Ruffe ? I'm assuming you've ruled out liners ?

And newt ! :eek: