FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Predator Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 16:30

tigger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC} View Post
When laying on the float is set down low in the water and invariably lifts when a fish bites.
I think that describes the lift method Chris.

Stret pegging is a combination of float ledgering and laying on that ensures the bait is always accuratly placed and lies perfectly static on the bottom. A short float fixed top and bottom and set considerably deeper than the swim depth so the current forms a bow in the line between float and the bottom shots. This relieves the pressure on the float enabling it to lie flat and the bait to remain static with just a single BB, AA or swan shot (depending on current force) pinched on the line 5 to 10 inches from the hook. When the flow is to fast for a single shot to hold bottom then construct a mini ledger using a small ring plus 1 inch or so of thik line to which a swan shot or two are added.

That's out of one of John Wilsons many books. It seems people know different styles of fishing by different names which does seem to cause confusion to many of us.

Last edited by tigger; 05-11-2009 at 16:47.
Old 05-11-2009, 16:37

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC} is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
I think that describes the lift method Chris.
I see. Thanks for putting me right then Tigger.
Old 05-11-2009, 18:51

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC} is on a distinguished road

Thanks again Tigger. As you say, there are so many conflicting descriptions of the various methods to be found and I've just had it confirmed by Graham M that your description is indeed correct. I really appreciate being put right.

...how does it go? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Old 05-11-2009, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC} View Post
Thanks again Tigger. As you say, there are so many conflicting descriptions of the various methods to be found and I've just had it confirmed by Graham M that your description is indeed correct. I really appreciate being put right.

...how does it go? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Your very welcome Chris........don't forget to tell me when I'm mistaken...which happens all the time m8 lol.
Old 05-11-2009, 21:09

preston96 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Your very welcome Chris........don't forget to tell me when I'm mistaken...which happens all the time m8 lol.
Your debate has given me a thought to apply to my angling.......debate is good....cheers both!
Old 05-11-2009, 22:27

Paul H will become famous soon enoughPaul H will become famous soon enough

I've just been reading about this method for pike in the current IYCF - John Watson talks about using it on the Norfolk Broads and rivers.

He uses an inline, sliding float set over-depth and adjusts this amount until the float sits half cocked at a 45 degree angle.

Bites generally lift then sink the float as the pike picks the bait up then swims off with it, he recommends striking after the lift as the float begins to disappear.

I can't see it working on bigger fast-flowing rivers like the Severn or Trent but I reckon it'll work brilliantly on parts of the Derwent this winter.
Old 06-11-2009, 18:14

Cakey has a spectacular aura aboutCakey has a spectacular aura about

just need someone to tell John Wilson that his stret pegging in his books are wrong
Old 06-11-2009, 18:31
Editor Emeritus

Graham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond reputeGraham Marsden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stret pegging is a combination of float ledgering and laying on that ensures the bait is always accuratly placed and lies perfectly static on the bottom. A short float fixed top and bottom and set considerably deeper than the swim depth so the current forms a bow in the line between float and the bottom shots. This relieves the pressure on the float enabling it to lie flat and the bait to remain static with just a single BB, AA or swan shot (depending on current force) pinched on the line 5 to 10 inches from the hook. When the flow is to fast for a single shot to hold bottom then construct a mini ledger using a small ring plus 1 inch or so of thik line to which a swan shot or two are added. That's out of one of John Wilsons many books. It seems people know different styles of fishing by different names which does seem to cause confusion to many of us.
Cakey, I don't see what he says is wrong. Just that in the above quote he doesn't mention that the bait only remains stationary until you make it move by lifting the rod. Perhaps he hasn't been quoted in full.
Old 06-11-2009, 18:39

Cakey has a spectacular aura aboutCakey has a spectacular aura about

yeah maybe.....................

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

funny thing is in Johns picture of his set up it says "Stret pegging ...correctly"

and with the three dots ha ha ha
Old 06-11-2009, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Marsden View Post
the bait only remains stationary until you make it move by lifting the rod.
That's it, if it was left stationary then it would be laying on and to fish laying on style you need to be fishing just off the end of your rod or pretty near by to do it correctly.