Grand Union Canal (herts & bucks)

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
Hi ya all

Is there any pike or zander in the Tring AC / Luton AC / MK AC sections of thye canal.

Any info what sections etc.

Cheers

Mike

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
The reason i would like to know as i fancy a go for any pike in there.

Cheers

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
canal zander

I have just posed your question on the Tring anglers forum, hopefully a reply will be forthcoming .

Bluenose

Reaction score
You could do a lot worse than have a wander with a lure rod mate. Have a chat with any anglers you bump into. Thse anglers match or pole fishing will be only too happy to advise you on pike activity.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
You could do a lot worse than have a wander with a lure rod mate. Have a chat with any anglers you bump into. Thse anglers match or pole fishing will be only too happy to advise you on pike activity.

Good advise from E.C.there mate. Lure fishing is a good way to locate pike on an unknown water. And who knows, it may (fingers crossed) develop into a productive and favourite method.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
did he mention any pike mate.

mike
Ahh! You could do with the help of our resident Grand Union Pike expert, Mr Kevin Perkins.

I say expert in a loose sense in that he has spent many hours tossing lures into the Grand Union so his knowledge would be invaluable, or so you would think. However, his captures to date are a respectable - zilch, to my knowledge. Therefore you could conclude that there are NO pike in the Grand Union or ...... well, say no more.

I have tried also and never caught a pike out of there. Even coarse fishing around Bulbourne I have never been once troubled with a pike. I would say it's not the most prolific of pike waters, but there's always a chance you might catch one.

If you do, don't tell Kevin as it would just rub salt into the very open wounds.

Barrie Hicks 2

Reaction score
Plenty of pike in the MK stretches of the canal, they have come out to over 20lbs, also cats and carp well over 30lb and big eels. Never heard of a zander from the GU from any of these areas...yet!

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
i used to fish a section for carp near a pub i think was called the dolphin, + a bit further on the road was there was a car park. Is this area any good. Cant remember the name of the village, but it was the road pout Leighton Buzard to Bletchley i think.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
i used to fish a section for carp near a pub i think was called the dolphin,

That was Stoke Hammond. The pub was once owned by John Royle, big fat fella, but nice with it. Go down Bragenham Side opposite (was called Bragenham Lane one time), there used to be parking at the end near the school/playing field. Canal is another 300 yards or so further down.

My sister used to live down there years ago. Used to catch loads of really good perch in there before the big kill of the early 60s.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Ahh! You could do with the help of our resident Grand Union Pike expert, Mr Kevin Perkins. I say expert in a loose sense in that he has spent many hours tossing lures into the Grand Union so his knowledge would be invaluable, or so you would think. However, his captures to date are a respectable - zilch, to my knowledge. Therefore you could conclude that there are NO pike in the Grand Union or ...... well, say no more.

Thanks Jeff,
I can always rely on you to bolster my ego........

Back to the subject matter, Milton Keynes has one of the longest 'pounds' on the GUC, and if I were about to go spinning for pike, I would start my walk somewhere like the marina at Peartree Bridge. It did produce a 28 pounder a while ago............

Nathan

Reaction score
I've had some good pike & perch from the GUC on lures. I've fished the Aylesbury, Tring & Marsworth sections all using the same approach. Travel light with rod & a few lures & just try your luck in a few spots. I often find that some areas will seem dead but if you pass them on your way back home at the end of the day try them again as its sometimes a case of the fish waiting for a change in light levels. Well that's my theory anyway! There will always be some areas that hold more fish, if you can ask where the match boys are catching in winter as this could be where the small fish are holding up & if that's the case the pike wont be too far away.
When your walking down the canal try 'trolling' your lure in the margins - you'll be surprised at the number of bites you can get using this method.