Landing nets

C

Chris Bishop

Can anyone recommend a fool-proof, robust landing net for lure fishing..?

It doesn't have to be a folding one but small enough to strap over my back would be good.

I

Ian Whittaker

Hi Chris, have you considered a salmon Gye net? Very robustly built and carried out of the way on the back. Not necessarily the cheapest option but theres not much to go wrong except an occassional new mesh.

B

Bob Watson

I'm looking for the same too, some on Harris angling but heard (read) bad reports about them causing damage to fish. At present using a carp net so I can foresee a lot of trebles (If I getlucky) getting cut and replaced.

P

Phil Heaton

Chris,
I bought an extra large Loki net from Harris early last year, the mesh feels quite hard and is of a woven nylon construction. It is good at not snagging hooks, does not hold water or more importantley fish slime, on the negative side they do not come with a carrying sling. But in the back of my mind I wonder if this is the type of mesh due to be outlawed and if so will Harris stock a replacement mesh, without having to purchase a complete unit.
Some people advocate chinning all their fish, all I can say is that they are very lucky to have access to so much water where they can crouch in the margin to do this.
I would suggest caution in your choice as these type of nets are not cheap.

C

Chris Bishop

Got a Loki net already. They don't damage the fish and hooks can't get caught in them either - had one spin right up in the net today and just unravelled it, pulled the hooks out and no problem.

I just want something a bit smaller for wandering about with as it's really huge and very heavy - too heavy to use one-handed in a boat for example.

Pete Waller had a nice-looking net hanging up in his shed last time I was down there. If you're about mate where did you get it from..?

L

Les Clark

IM also looking for a landing net for pike Im useing a fox carp net at the moment,but Ive had trouble twice when a treble has caught in the net the pike has dropped and ripped the jaw , Ive never had this trouble before in 30 odd yrs of pikeing,im now useing a old but wider mesh and not so deep carp net, maybe a pan style may be better?

L

Les Clark

Philand chris, sorry you have answered my question,where can i get a loki net ?

B

Bob Watson

Lee, look at <a href=http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/harr/product.asp?mscssid=WKQWK736BTFC8JTJLJFT0UC5NTWJD971&dept%5Fid=50&pf%5Fid=3204>THIS</a>

B

Bob Watson

A few more <a href=http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/harr/dept.asp?mscssid=WKQWK736BTFC8JTJLJFT0UC5NTWJD971&dept%5Fid=50>HERE</a>

C

Chris Bishop

Les I'll gladly sell you mine. Bear in mind I want shot of it because it's the wrong shape, impossible to carry around collapsed and then open it when you get a fish and it weighs a ton.

Otherwise it's fine...

L

Les Clark

Cheers chris,if it`s that good I think iwill give it a miss,back to square one?

Carl Ward

Reaction score
Used the QED Huntsman from shore and in boat.Trebles never got caught up,net seems harsh but in practice it removes no slime from the fish and was a great net 'til I sold it!Why?Wish I hadn't,buying another soon!

C

Chris Bishop

How strong is that hinge - it looked a bit plastic to me.

D

David Marrs

Chris,

Mate, post us a tenner and I'll send you one thats had a fish in it!!!

Rgds,
Disco

D

David Marrs

Gotta be better than the beast I carried back to your car for you while you minced around, jeez I lean't it on your car and the poor motor disappeared! Mate the handle was like the barrel of that mega gun all them blokes got jailed for in the early 90's!