Trace wire for Zander

Andy Wootten

Reaction score
Having finally used up my last piece of caliber wonder wire{15lb}am on the lookout for a suitable replacement
Was considering Drennans soft wire but have heard a few negative comments about it.Anyone got any recommendations?

D

David Marrs

I buy my wire from 'Castaways' in Lincoln, its actually some type of a 'home' brand in 20lb strain but is the best Ive come across as yet!

I have used that kevlar coated stuff in the past but I didn't like the way it scuffed and frayed with any encounter of anything sharp.

I still use the Drennan 'Green' wire in 15lb BS for deadbaiting, I don't like it for livebaiting as I think its both stiff and easy to see! My Zed fishing buddy Nick and I also noticed a difference in runs a few years ago on a river we fished if you used Drennan's wire in 20lb BS as a pose to 15lb BS!!! ie You got a lot less Zed runs, fuel for thought!

Andy Wootten

Reaction score
Err correct me if i am wrong but isnt wonder wire now dicontinued?

Cheers dave for your reply am thinking of something around 15lb bs as on the water i fish {old bury hill}the Zander wont tolerate bog standard pike trace wire.Anyone had experience of the wire from harris angling?

C

Chris Bishop

Fox Soft Steel's nearly as good, 25lbs bs, but there were some dodgy batches around last year.

I wouldn't go down to 15lbs - not much safety margin there.

Andy Wootten

Reaction score
Thanks Darren obviously the info i had re wonder wires demise was incorrect.

C

Chris Bishop

I still see it from time to time. I used to use the 24lbs a lot but the last few lots I got seemed to fray up easily.

I don't think zander are half as tackle-shy as people make out, check out Steve Younger's book.