Best water temperature for spring pike?

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

At the end of February we had two pike around 9 pound in 20-24 C outside temperature, and ever since not even a follow. I don't know what is going on, i can sometimes see pike in the shallows, but they wouldn't bite. I tried spinnerbaits, plastics, cranks, spoons, topwaters - nothing. I am getting frustrated. The last two pike we caught had already spawned, so they should be actively feeding now? Do you have any advice for this particular time of the year and river piking? Lures only? Is it the cold water due to snow melting in the mountains the reason? Or I am doing something wrong? Or may be it is just too early for lures yet?

J

jason fisher

we're not allowed to fish rivers now it's the closed season.

Joskin

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if they had spawned in february. as Jason said you cant fish the river now untill the 16th of June.

Joskin

Reaction score
Very good point john I best shut up then.

Should have clicked that Krasimir Bacargiev wasnt in the uk when he mentioned temperatures of 24c in February and the snow melting in the mountains!

Doh

J

jason fisher

i did say WE are not allowed to fish the rivers.
the strange thing is people in other countries dont seem to have the same closed season as us and it's surprising how many of the people who are shouting so loudly about not abolishing it over here go to ireland or the rest of europe just about as soon as our closed season starts.