FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > SEA FISHING FORUMS > Sea Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 23:13

super snatcher is on a distinguished road
Default Oz 2013 report 5

This session had me fishing at Clontarf,Middle Harbour,Sydney with Neil. Neil is originally from Southampton but has now lived in Australia for over 20 years. He knew that I was desperate to add a flathead to my species list so with this in mind we had fresh whitebait to tempt them and also Neil had a small fishtrap.

Clontarf is a lovely part of the harbour with a fine park and protected swimming area there. Check it out on this picture below.

Click the image to open in full size.

We set up about 100 yds to the right of this pool. I set up a running ledger rig with a 2/0 circle hook on the end. I baited this with a single whitebait and just lobbed it out about 20 yards as the water was deep close in. Neil set up with a small lure,hoping to tempt flathead or bonito.

I only had to wait a matter of seconds when I had a tap on the rod tip. I tightened into the fish and just hoped it was going to be a flathead !!! I was fairly disapointed when I seen it was a small bream. A quick picture and back it went.

Neil meanwhile had a few hits on his lure but failed to hook up. He had his fish trap out and noticed that the bread had attracted some small mullet.

I put on a mullet livebait and it got bitten off first cast. This happened a few more times and then eventually I managed to hook up to hopefully my first flathead. No it was a another bream but bigger than the first one. I simply shook it off at the water edge. Neil in the meanwhile managed to hook a small tailor on his lure. After about an hour here we decided on a move to below the pool.

On went another livebait and I did not have to wait long for a bite. This was a bigger fish and fought well on light gear. It was no flathead but a snapper.

We persisted for another hour and I picked up two more decent snapper but no flathead. Oh well there is always next time.

John