RNLI - Safety for sea anglers

guest61

Reaction score
On average 9 anglers die every year through either slipping or being washed off rocks or going out in unsafe boats.

The RNLI is looking to create a safety app which could be beneficial to sea fishermen something that would keep them safe but also something that they would want to use.

Can you help? Do you have any ideas what you would like from an app like this?

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Would it be an idea to have an alarm going off when the tide is changing? This is of course dependent on the fisherman entering his location.

greenie62

Reaction score
On average 9 anglers die every year through either slipping or being washed off rocks or going out in unsafe boats.

The RNLI is looking to create a safety app which could be beneficial to sea fishermen something that would keep them safe but also something that they would want to use.

Can you help? Do you have any ideas what you would like from an app like this?

Would it be an idea to have an alarm going off when the tide is changing? This is of course dependent on the fisherman entering his location.

Great idea in principle - only prob is most mobile phones are out of range 1-2km off-shore! OK - some times more some times less - depending on location, phone type, network, etc!

guest61

Reaction score
That is true greenie62. Looking at it like that it could be more of a safely hazard rather than an aid.

I guess if you were to use an app to look up a fishing spot, tide times are essential but you would have to rely on the good old wrist watch and your eyes to keep track of highs and lows.

mick b

Reaction score
Angler fishing in dangerous situations should carry a personal EPIRP, with rods and reels costing hundreds whats another hundred to save your life?
Most sea anglers worth their salt will own a Tide Clock, if they don't they damn well should!

For rock fishing a 3mm body suit worn under your clothes will keep you afloat and hopefully save your life if your washed off.

Personally I never go afloat without taking my own VHF and wearing an DOT/SOLAS auto-lifejacket plus a survival suit if its ex-cold.

I've even worn a lifejacket when surveying the margins of rivers and lakes and wore one last back-end when the floods were starting to drop.

What price staying alive ???