Beach Fishing - Great Yarmouth

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Whats the deal with this? Ive never fished off the beach before and i'm going to Great Yarmouth in the next couple months so could give it a crack if possible.

How do i find if i can fish off the beach i'm staying next to?
What licences are involved?

Is a normal rod ok just with stronger line?

All help appreciated

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
what do you call a normal rod?
the east coast can have some strong tides so a rod that will cast a 4-6oz weight from the beach

if the mackerel are about you can float or spin
give the harbour ago float fish for mullet (use a Float rod with a waggler and bread for bait)

you don't need a licence to sea fish

hammer_jamie

Reaction score

chrissh

Reaction score
Great Yarmouth North Beach Sea Fishing Mark
Spring for dab, flounder and cod, summer for eel, bass, flounder and dab, autumn and winter for cod, dab, flounder and whiting
Fairly deep water and a short to medium cast will put you in a reasonable depth

Main Species
Dab, flounder, cod, eel, bass, whiting

Recommended Baits:
Crabs, squid, lugworm, ragworm, fish strip

the rod on eBay will do what you want if it just for a holiday rod and the odd day out at the coast.

get yourself some hooks size 1 or1/0 4oz grip weights for ledgering 1-2oz bombs for spinning a float that will carry a 1oz bullet weight you should be able to pick float packs up in the tackle shop in yarmouth about £2.50 for a set (float- weight- hook)

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Yarmouth tackle shops

Gorleston Tackle Centre Ltd
7-8 Pier Walk
Gorleston-on-Sea
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk NR31 6DA
gorlestontackle.co.uk
01493 662448

Pownall & Sons Ltd
74 Regent Road
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk NR30 2AJ
pownalls.com
01493 842873

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Thanks for that reply really helpful mate.

Will just be a holiday rod going to Yarmouth with the daughter & misses for a week and I thought be nice to take rod and have some fun with the sea.

Such a silly question but if I get a 4oz grip weight do i tie the end of the line to it and then where do I tie the hook?

I've read 40lb minimum line is this true?

chrissh

Reaction score
15lbs line will do for what you want to do

most of the rig you will need are the same as a river or lake but bigger

you can use a fixed or running ledger with a 4oz weight

ONE TIP PUT A PLASTER ON YOUR CASTING FINGER TIP TO STOP THE LINE CUTTING IN TO YOUR FINGER OR GET A FINGER STALL FROM THE CHEMIST
finger stall eBay item number: 220951780960

have a look at these links

Making Sea Fishing Rigs | Britishseafishing.co.uk

Vic Fisher's sea angling journal � float

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
So you reckon if I do go for that cheap and cheerful rod above I can keep the reel & line and that will be good enough?

I'm tempted just to go for the simple 4oz weight and hook.. Only thing I'm thinkng about now is the bait. I will be traveling to Yarmouth via train so can't take bait with me!

Would this rig be suitable then all I need to do is attach my mainline to the swivel and the weight to the lead clip
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Sea-F...437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41817af1f5

If I use a lure do I tie just that on the line on its own or some form of weight also?

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
At this time of year the east coast is littered with small bass. Mostly in the rivers. You could be lucky and hit a good 'un, even a monster. new moon will bring some big tides and the usual distance casting would need strong gear to hold in the flow. especially the ebb. For simple fun I would recommend a ragworm and a lead of no more than an ounce bounced around 10-30 metres out. Keep twitching it and you should get a hit. When you do and strike into thin air bear in mind bass often hit a bait then watch it as it drops and settles again. Another twitch and you're on. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much a six inch bass can pull your string.
You could even stir up a nice sole or two for tea.
Don't neglect the piers and harbours. If you really want to test your skills go for mullet. Hook into a 5lb one of those and you'll wonder what all the fuss about barbel is.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Rubio - Thanks very much for that very helpful. Knowing my luck i will be lucky to catch a plastic bag :D

Do you also reckon a rod from ebay for about £20 will be good enough for what i want to do with it for the week by the sea?

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Been searching through ebay and I've decided on these 3 just need help on persuading me on which one to get. I will be adding a rig to attach a 4oz lead weight and maybe change and attach a lure.

Please tell me which rod & reel will be best for me.

SEA BEACH FISHING TELESCOPIC FISHING ROD AND SILK 70 SEA REEL 10FT 0R 12FT ROD | eBay

LINEAEFFE 12ft HORIZONT TELESCOPIC TRAVEL BEACHCASTER ROD+BIG FD70 REEL COD BASS | eBay

Telescopic Fishing Rod Beachcaster 12ft + Reel Sea Beach FREE Mackerel Feathers | eBay

rubio

Reaction score
Not easy to recommend something unseen but if you are checking around for bargains have a look on the fishing clearance section on Sports Direct website.

chrissh

Reaction score
if it's as you say you only want the rod & reel for a holiday i would go for the NGT this one is under £25 and comes with rigs & weight

Sea Fishing Beach Pier Rock Starter Set / Kit Telescopic Rod Reel Tackle Rigs
eBay item number: 140890358823

chrissh

Reaction score
I don't think you are going to be chucking a 6oz out to 100 yards with the rod you are look at
it a light weight rod only rated 20-50 grams = 3/4 -1.3/4 oz so you won't need a shock leader

Keith M

Reaction score
If you are intending to Chuck out 5 & 6oz leads as far as you can I would definitely use a shock leader otherwise you are likely to kill someone when your lead snaps off on the cast.

I use tapered leaders (15lb to 65lb) with the thinner end tied to my 15lb mainline to keep the knot neat and small.

Keith