Cuban Hooks

maceo

Reaction score
I wonder if I might bother you for some advice?

My wife is going home to Cuba for 6 weeks very soon along with a selection of our kids. As ever, the pesos are in short supply and she’ll look at taking a few things with her in order to sell.

With the US embargo, everything’s short and everything’s needed but there are limits on the weight you can take and you don’t want to attract the attention of the glamourous but acquisitive mini-skirted Cuban customs ladies through carrying too much bulk.

One of the things that’s been suggested as being ideal to take to sell is fishing hooks. These can sell for a $1 a time and are small and weigh almost nothing. The thing is, I know nothing about what type of hooks would be most suitable. Certainly I don’t think my size 18 barbless hooks to nylon are going to do the job. I don’t really know what type of fish they have there apart from the occasional sharks, marlin and a barracuda I saw swimming past underneath me as bold as brass one time. If they’re anything like the Cuban women, then they’ll be ones that are very noisy, conflictive and have prominent backsides….

The potential purchaser of these will be people who fish off the beach or sea front rather than boat fishing.

Any suggestions or links to ebay etc where I can find cheap but good quality hooks of a suitable size for that job would be great appreciated.

It’ll need to be a UK supplier as she’s leaving on the 29th.

If anyone has any ideas for other non-bulky or weighty fishing equipment that might be good to sell in Cuba, that would also be welcome…

Muchisimas gracias.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You might try placing this on the General Forum as well as that seems to get more views than Sea Fishing, and many of those who regularly read General have some sea fishing knowledge as well . . . . . . . .

nicepix

Reaction score
I would have thought that the bulk pack of metal fish hooks would look pretty suspicious on the luggage belt X-Ray. :eek:

bullet

Reaction score
Any decent hooks in 2/0 to 4/0 would be very saleable,i'm sure. Try to find a bulk supplier of VMC's or something similar. When I was there they were very keen on lighter BS nylon as well.Pack in hold luggage.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just food for thought, I did a bit of online search and apparently they do fresh water fishing as well in the reservoirs etc. Below is a list of freshwater species given on one website. So, maybe there's a chance for freshwater fish tackle as well. Catfish-Grass carp, silver carp, black carp, bighead carp and common carp are listed. I would imagine theres some carp anglers for that lot. If there are, there's no end of carp things that they might not have seen before.
Tried to think of sea tackle, I do a bit of sea fishing. Difficult one but, I did consider all the plastic bits and bobs, boons, weight lifters and sea floats, they have little weight; whether they have any appeal in Cuba I wouldn't know. Bell ringers, artificial prawn lures----Anyway, not sure if any that helps but, thought I would pass it on; you never know.
Also found this that might interest:-

Freshwater Fishing
The island of Cuba has quite a variety of freshwater fishing to offer to the visitor. Impressive untouched areas and ecological parks, coastal zones and rivers, lagoons and ponds, all sport a great variety of flora and fauna endemic to the country.
Freshwater sport fishing is rapidly developing on the island. It can be practiced throughout the year but is best during those months with temperatures lower than 21 degrees Celsius. Centers such as Rancho Hatuey, Mor�n, Viramas y Presa Zaza are some of those that benefit from tranquil lagoons and canals that are perfect for fishing.
In these areas one can catch the best trout (Salmo spp.), carp (Cyprinus carpio), Tilapia (Tilapia spp.) and other species well known by freshwater fishing enthusiasts.
In an effort to complement the sport, Cuba is now able to offer freshwater fishers services such as guides, underwater photography equipment and fishing equipment such as rods, bait and catgut. The island also hosts an annual International Fishing Tournament at different locations throughout Cuba.

Bighead carp
River goby
Swordspine snook
Fat snook
Tarpon snook
Tambaqui
Grass carp
Sheepshead minnow
Common carp
Gulf killifish
Highfin goby
Silver carp