What rod for light sea fishing?

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Hi,

I normally coarse fish but am looking to buy a multi section rod to take abroad for fishing either from the beach or off a pier.
Can anyone recommend a rod that would be suitable? It must be able to be packed in a suitcase or have a short tube I can carry.

Thanks
Noddy

sumtime

Reaction score
I always take my Odyssey travel spin 9ft (now about 8'10" :() on every holiday for years, landed many fish on it. It fits in my wife's case inside the sturdy cardboard tube that was delivered to me (painted blue now cos I'm an Evertonian :)).

There is a NGT 4 piece travel rod on Amazon for £25, worth a punt for me.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

NGT Intrepid All Round 9ft Travel Spin Fishing Rod:Amazon.co.uk:Sports & [email]Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com[/email]/images/I/41SS%2BbgBDEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41SS%2BbgBDEL

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Hi,

I normally coarse fish but am looking to buy a multi section rod to take abroad for fishing either from the beach or off a pier.
Can anyone recommend a rod that would be suitable? It must be able to be packed in a suitcase or have a short tube I can carry.

Thanks
Noddy

How light and where abroad? I use rods in saltwater as light as 0.5-4g casting weight up to many ounces.

If you are talking Mediterranean then I would go a light as possible and go for LRF style tactics and isome worm as bait.

Further afield with the chance of bigger fish that NGT rod recommended above would be pretty good - I bough an NGT travel boat rod for a trip to Florida earlier in the year and it was great for boat fishing and heavy spinning.

fruitowl

Reaction score
Word of caution be aware that in some countries you need a licence to beach fish I know in Spain you need one but to get it is a bit of a pain.

I would check the local laws where you are going being a tourist you could be an easy target for a fine.

Sorry for putting a downer on but better safe than sorry. :(

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the help, it is Greek Islands. I will look into the licence.
I'm not sure what the area is like was just hoping to put a float or ledger rig out.

Cheers

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Get a really light spinning rod which casts 5-10g, a 2000-3000 sized feel with 8lb braid, some 4-5lb flourocarbon. some tiny jig heads with size 10 hooks and some small eyed hooks in 14 to 18 and some drop shot leads. Two packets of isome worms and you are sorted. Trust me. You will catch more and have more fun than waiting for anything big. Worth taking some larger size 8-10 hooks as well in case you find mullet in a harbour then fish free lined bread flake for them.

sumtime

Reaction score
Noddy, what island/s are you going to?
This was on Thassos about ten years ago. Still got the hat, still got the gear :)

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to Zante , no idea if I can fish from a rocky pier or a beach!
The dropshot style fishing sounds good but I guess only if I can get out to some depth like a pier. Otherwise if I'm restricted to a beach what is my best option? I guess I need to cast a fair way out?

Thanks
Noddy

sumtime

Reaction score
Nahhhh! Yer don't have to cast far to catch fish, where on Zante are you going? I've been there a few times.

sumtime

Reaction score
I've visited a lot of villages up in the hills, Tragaki rings a bell, well there's a lot of bell ringing on Zante :).

Not far away is Tsilivi, this is where I snapped the top off my travel rod, a lovely resort with rocks to the far left. Further round to the right is Zante town, I've fished most areas here, easy fishing.

Some local fishermen use a block of wood with a nail hammered in, they attach the line to the nail, throw a baited hook out and wait for the block to fall into the water, good to watch. :)

An easy island to travel round.

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Sounds like there could be some places to fish then! What kind of fishing do you need to do? Like someone said before light lines with small rubber worms or bait looks like fun, what if I can only fish from a beach do you just ledger?
Never sea fished before , but can imagine if I'm on the beach without a pier or similar the fish may be further out.
BTW I was given a fox trek permit rod which is a travel rod rated at 10-25lb , I'm not sure what that means , is it line rating? If so its probably too heavy!

Cheers
Noddy

sumtime

Reaction score
Bread, shrimp and limpets I've caught on, I'm a bread fan tho'. That's grams not pounds, sounds okay to me.

I like to float fish but I've caught ledgering too. You don't have to fish far out, that bass was caught in the harbour and you can see I'm not fishing far out on the beach.

kenpm

Reaction score
A mate of mine who has a flat over there took a John Wilson Avon Barbel travel rod with him and uses it for everything and he thinks it copes very well but he has since bought a Shakespeare Agility drop shot rod to take over and leave there.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Sounds like there could be some places to fish then! What kind of fishing do you need to do? Like someone said before light lines with small rubber worms or bait looks like fun, what if I can only fish from a beach do you just ledger?
Never sea fished before , but can imagine if I'm on the beach without a pier or similar the fish may be further out.
BTW I was given a fox trek permit rod which is a travel rod rated at 10-25lb , I'm not sure what that means , is it line rating? If so its probably too heavy!

Cheers
Noddy

That is the line rating on that rod as you say...probably a little heavy for the med as permit do fight hard. Very well thought of rods though that are now discontinued and it would be perfect for the tropics if you ever get chance to fish somewhere like that.

noddy_88e

Reaction score
I didn't take a rod in the end , just as well as there wasn't anywhere to fish from easily. I think I will look at getting a light multi section spinning rod, been looking at shimano catalogue and there's a few in there that look just the job!

Cheers
Noddy