Hampshire catch report video Haslar

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Common sense should tell you to use an unhooking matt of some kind when laying flapping fish on ground like that.

john step

Reaction score
Common sense should tell you to use an unhooking matt of some kind when laying flapping fish on ground like that.

Also I think the method of "carefully" returning the fish with an almighty splash sums his lack of care exactly.

Last edited:

shaunlewis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
im all for sharing and passing my knowledge on so here goes , wrass are rocky area feeding fish hiding in a maze of sharpe and weedy areas eating crabs, srimps, squat lobsters small fish , a very hardy fish and extremely boney id call them tough and great fight in them, and always swim off, when feeding diving head first into rocks sharpe and tight spaces and also
, when fish sleep maybe just these ones not carp obviously ,they go wild and instead booking into premier inn, would you belive it lay right down in and on them rocks proper camp out and slum it up, and no pillows so uncivilized, but try to remember that these fish never seen a hook and is pure wild and never been soften up by 1000 anglers meetups, in no way i slamed banged or in anyway miss treated that creature and i am well in my right, to bang them on the head 3 times and of eat them, but reading fish laws much more fancy trying carp, pike , and chub, wheres you local river? as im well in my right to take upto 20 under 20cm carp for the pot

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Also I think the method of "carefully" returning the fish with an almighty splash sums his lack of care exactly.
read above and if my daughter should be fatherless due to your ignorance about something you couldnt judge or stand on the ground i was, dont be so judgemental and understand this aint a pond and this and a pupose built bank to camp out at in my mobility scooter on this is real and its dangerous that is why sea angling is a bloodsport, the fish could of been droped 10m and would swam off no issues

wa1115

Reaction score
You asked for comments and you got them!..

Oh and the video and editing is ****.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
im all for sharing and passing my knowledge on so here goes , wrass are rocky area feeding fish hiding in a maze of sharpe and weedy areas eating crabs, srimps, squat lobsters small fish , a very hardy fish and extremely boney id call them tough and great fight in them, and always swim off, when feeding diving head first into rocks sharpe and tight spaces and also
, when fish sleep maybe just these ones not carp obviously ,they go wild and instead booking into premier inn, would you belive it lay right down in and on them rocks proper camp out and slum it up, and no pillows so uncivilized, but try to remember that these fish never seen a hook and is pure wild and never been soften up by 1000 anglers meetups, in no way i slamed banged or in anyway miss treated that creature and i am well in my right, to bang them on the head 3 times and of eat them, but reading fish laws much more fancy trying carp, pike , and chub, wheres you local river? as im well in my right to take upto 20 under 20cm carp for the pot

I don't usually bother with an unhooking matt myself if the ground is soft grass but to lay them on tarmac, concrete or stones is pure ignorant.

By the way your not allowed to take fish from any rivers other than trout, salmon and grayling and that's only if the controlling club allows it and if you have a game licence.

You've got your right to take fish completly wrong, you can't take any coarse fish at all, you need a licence to take salmon and sea trout and will be limited to the number of brown trout or grayling you can take per day and that's only if the club controling the water allow it.

By the way....your full of ***** :eek:mg:.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Shaun: DO keep your contributions and videos coming - but best use a mat when unhooking your fish. I agree, sea fish are tough, but their eyes ain't. As far as editing is concerned, you did alright. I only wish others would show us their efforts.

Thanks for the contribution.

Ed.

thecrow

Reaction score
The place where you were fishing looks to be open to the public, some of the public will be of the anti angling type, others that were not could possibly be swayed to join that view by your treatment of the fish you caught, it would cost very little and do a lot to show that anglers care for their catch.

You asked for comments but unfortunately did not like the ones you received and imo responded in completely the wrong way, posters on here will help wherever they can but I am afraid that comments about coming to a river and taking fish will not get you any help, it will in fact get you the opposite reaction and if you carried out your threat you could find yourself in court.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/fish-size-and-catch-limits

the thing is i dont even freshwaterfish , but i would if i had a rod licence read the small print.
:D

The link that you have posted is about legal sizes, most if not all river angling is controlled by clubs, all of these clubs as far as I am aware will have a rule forbidding the removal of any fish from their waters. You seem to be getting mixed up between the two sets of rules.

shaunlewis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The place where you were fishing looks to be open to the public, some of the public will be of the anti angling type, others that were not could possibly be swayed to join that view by your treatment of the fish you caught, it would cost very little and do a lot to show that anglers care for their catch.

You asked for comments but unfortunately did not like the ones you received and imo responded in completely the wrong way, posters on here will help wherever they can but I am afraid that comments about coming to a river and taking fish will not get you any help, it will in fact get you the opposite reaction and if you carried out your threat you could find yourself in court.
i have no intention of taking them fish, just feels bit like a class war going on here, have you read the direct gov website link about taking freshwater fish home ?if i can find that out im sure alot of others could more partial ..
i can end up walking 45mins to some of my marks our stuff is heavy , we take 60oz lead ,trays , reels and spares, we are in the elements , beach buddys tripods heavy rods, plus now im taking cameras tripods stands, i will dig out my old mat for areas like this ie tarmac or concrete about but its not possible down the beach as it will just get caught in the wind and blow away, but in all honesty i was one of the first sea anglers to put up say for licence and concervation , i may look like a chavy but they should know i matched fish since a child club pleasure and freelance im no idiot when it comes to fishing i started since age four and forgot more than they know, its time for me to make a contribution to this sport and thats what i intend to do, im going to open this up and hopefully incourage people t sea fish ..as much as conserveing fish stocks is a priorty i in no way can agree that all europe are wrong to eat sea and fresh water fish we are humans we eat fish only thing i say on it eat what you kill 1 fish at a time dont waste them, why is it we here protect freshwater fish europe eat them and most fresh water anglers here have to holiday abroad to catch bigger fish?

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

The link that you have posted is about legal sizes, most if not all river angling is controlled by clubs, all of these clubs as far as I am aware will have a rule forbidding the removal of any fish from their waters. You seem to be getting mixed up between the two sets of rules.
well on the itchen there is club free sections, sure free sections on rivers all over england too, and club wouldnt be able to do anything about moan and grone be about it , im getting bit fed up arguing about this post, if everyone dislikes harming fish maybe put your hooks away full stop, and just buy a fish tank or pond for your gardens

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of people on here have never sea fished in their entire lives.

I have never seen any sea angler use a unhooking mat period. Whether this is right or not doesn't really matter but the way Shaun treats the fish in his video is certainly no worse than you would see anywhere.

This all smacks of self righteous bullying to me.

shaunlewis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shaun: DO keep your contributions and videos coming - but best use a mat when unhooking your fish. I agree, sea fish are tough, but their eyes ain't. As far as editing is concerned, you did alright. I only wish others would show us their efforts.

Thanks for the contribution.

Ed.
i will be everyweek, i will with your permission advertise this site further to hopefully grow more fellow sea anglers to your site, i would if you are able to add extra sections, like meets and clubs, rigbuilding, tackle and uses, etc.

thecrow

Reaction score
My My we are an angry person aren't we, keep posting your videos but I wont be watching them as you are about to join the ignore list, bye bye.

shaunlewis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I have never seen any sea angler use a unhooking mat period. Whether this is right or not doesn't really matter but the way Shaun treats the fish in his video is certainly no worse than you would see anywhere.

thankyou for that mate , i honestly dont want more arguing about this though, thing is i had bucket sea water with me to return flounders other side what i was after and it was blowing a force six that day but unexpected catches happen , i agree they dont sea fish , our sports issue is kids and lazy anglers leaving line hooks and rubish behind causing damage to envoiroment and wildlife and little tots getting hooks stuck in them down the beaches in summer, this is what makes me mad

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yes, keep your posts coming. It's up to the membership what they read though and unfortunately see angling is in the minority on this forum.

One thing though, I don't quite understand your responses to the comments, including your reports, and at the same time "liking" those comments?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Ray(no self righteous bullying from anyone), i've been seafishing since my dad used to take me as an infant and that's a number of years ago now. I always treat the fish I catch with respect, even if i'm gonn'a eat one or two I wouldn't let them flap about on tarmac, i'd just kill them asap.
Imo to treat them in that manner isn't good fish handling and people watching that video may think it's normal / good practice to do so.

Keith M

Reaction score
Being a Coarse angler 95% of the time who very occasionally fishes off the beach I'm used to using an unhooking mat even on the beach, and although more & more sea anglers are using catch and release methods I wince when I see other shore anglers dragging their fish out of the water onto gravel beaches or just laying them down on a hard gravel beach or on concrete.

When I used to do a lot of beach fishing when I was much younger I did it myself and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't think anything of it then, but nowerdays I think totally different. and I suspect that eventually even die hard sea anglers will start to care more for their fish welfare.

I know that you are not doing anything wrong in your eyes or in most of your fellow sea anglers eyes, but when you decide to post your catches onto a prodominately freshwater fishing site then you must be aware that you will get a lot of objections to your methods of handling your fish.

It's great that you are posting your good results on here, and also using catch and release methods; and please don't be discouraged to post again, but to stop us all moaning on here why not (the next time) get yourself a plastic coated cushion to sit on (on your box) which you can also unfold and use as an unhooking mat, then you would silence most of us freshwater namby pandies (and be a little more comfortable on your box at the same time) LOL.

Nice fish by the way.

Keith

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
.... been seafishing since my dad used to take me as an infant and that's a number of years ago now...

I reckon yer da was a man of great foresight and knew what trouble you'd be in later life - and since you could get out of the Canal so easily - he reckoned "let's take the little b*gger sea-fishing and see how he wriggles out of that!" :eek:;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

Another cunning ploy bites the deck! :eek:mg:

P

pointngo

When you take anything out of it's natural habitat so it can't fend for itself then you have a Duty of Care to look after it.. the same as if a person went into hospital for an operation.

Whether it applies to freshwater fish or sea fish is immaterial, the care is the same...

Don't take the slime off.
Don't let it damage itself on objects.
Don't let it suffocate.
Make sure it has enough strength to swim off safely.

You either care or you don't. Some sea anglers use unhooking mats.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It's not a person, it's a bloody fish, lol.

If we deliberately set out to jam a sharp pointed implement into another human being's mouth. We would quite rightly be banged up in jail. There is no comparison whatsoever.

The fate of most sea fish is that they get dragged in and if they're fortunate, bonked on the head before they are disembowled, have their flesh stripped from them and then have to suffer the indignity of being cooked. This is what happens to the lucky ones caught by anglers. The commercially caught ones are crushed under the weight of their own brethren and finally end up being kept under freezing conditions, sometimes it's a regular fish holocaust out there.

Come on chaps, cut the guy some slack, he's only just started posting on here and some of you seem determined to make him feel unwelcome.