What gear

grizzley81

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm not new to fishing but I am at sea fishing although I did dabble with it about 15 years ago and caught some fish. Anyway I have got to buy everything all over again and as I am now quite a bit closer to the sea I would like something a bit better then the leeda rod and reel I had before which was for beechcasting. So my question to you lovely folk is this what gear or brand if you like would you recommend for let's say a total of a 100 pound for rod and reel for spinning/plugging for bass, beechcasting and float fishing from a dock or pier depending on which route I go. Many many thanks in advance

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

P

pointngo

The question isn't as simple as it seems as it is different type of tackle. Whilst some manufacturers might excel in a lure rod, doesn't mean they know squat about beachcasting or float fishing, and vice versa.

Your best bet is to make your choice of what type of fishing you want to do and then get advice.

grizzley81

Reaction score
I've pretty much decided that I'd like to have ago at spinning/lure fishing. Thanks pointngo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi there,
If you aren't quite sure what you want to do - venuewise - might be worth popping in to your local 'Go Outdoors' - they always seem to have a Sale on - see Sea Fishing Rods | GO Outdoors

They have a range of Ron Thompson rods - at various casting weights - from £9.99 upwards and large FS reels from a tenner upwards.
If you time it right - you may even get some in the next Aldi sales - they even have complete outfits from £25!

Until you know exactly what you want - spend as little as you can get away with on starting-up - then you have more to spend on all the inevitable bits n pieces to actually fish with - then you can work out what you really need to 'splash the cash' on!

Tight Lines!

grizzley81

Reaction score
Thanks greenie62 after putting this up I have made my mind up on spinning but felt a bit silly putting up another thread

Keith M

Reaction score
Even Lure/spinning requires different rods; for example; if I am fishing close in for Bass from rocky outcrops I sometimes use a very light 5 to 10gm spinning rod but if I were spinning at a greater range then I might use a 10gm to 30gm spinning rod; and I occasionally use a 30gm to 50gm spinning rod depending on the tide, my quarry and the types of lure that I am using.

I even use a relatively through auctioned 2lb TC Carp rod now and then, especially if I am using a sand eel lure at range on a strong-ish incoming estuary tide.

So what Greenie suggested sounds a very sensible idea to me.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

grizzley81

Reaction score
Thanks Kieth m I ve been doing research on my area and if I was to target bass for example a lot are caught from a bout 1 hour as the tide is changing as they start to search the rough ground and using plugs that only dive to about a foot due to the water being shallow so you skim over the rocks and weed if needed. So to start with at least I won't be chucking them great distances. I always try not to jump and rush in to things without first researching and have a good grasp on techniques and the theory behind it that being said I was thinking at least rod wise starting some where in the middle weight wise that could maybe handle something a bit heavier if handled with care talking about fish rather then casting

P

pointngo

It's all good advice about not rushing in but if you've made your mind up about a bass lure rod then I'd suggest a Tronix Pro HTO Lure Game rod, 9ft, 10-40g. Match that with a shimano exage 4000fd, or a shiomano aernos xt 4000 and it's about as good as you get for about £100 imho. If you want a daiwa reel then a 3000/3500 size would balance better. Stick some 20lb power pro on the reel and away you go.

And whatever you do don't rush to buy too many lures.. you only really need a handful if they're the right ones. :)

Bass fishing is pretty much over for this year now though mate but if you start, wash everything in freshwater after every trip.. rod, reel and lures.

grizzley81

Reaction score
Yep its all sound advise and I definitely won't be fishing this side of Christmas. What would be my local club runs its yearly membership from 1st Jan to 31st Dec so not much point until then all the more time to gather info and look at possible marks and look at different rods like the ones suggested here and see what feels best to me. Thanks all for your advice so far it's been taken onboard :)

grizzley81

Reaction score
As far as lures go what's the best or trusted brands to use and are there any really bad brands to stay clear of?

P

pointngo

Same as your first question mate... it's never that simple.

If I were you I'd start off with a 15-20g silver toby, a wtd topwater, a subsurface diver and a packet of Fiish Black minnows, 120mm khaki flavour. Jighead weight to suit depth and tidal flow... you want it tripping bottom for the most part.

How much do you want to spend?

Be warned; buying lures is addictive and when most people, me included, first get into lure fishing they buy shed loads to start with and end up with a pile of lures you'll probably never use. Start slowly and learn how to use each lure before buying the next one.. you won't waste money that way.

grizzley81

Reaction score
There are some good places near me that are at there best when shallow just over a foot of water over rough ground so to start with some shallow plugs are in order just not sure what brand

---------- Post added at 05:56 ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 ----------

I should also say as the tide is changing and I don't want to really be spending more then 20 pound a plug

grizzley81

Reaction score
Sumtime I will be fishing Cornwall mainly the south coastline

sumtime

Reaction score
Fished a few spots down there, Lamorna Cove is lovely, fished around to the right off the rocks.

grizzley81

Reaction score
Thanks Sumtime will keep that in mind

P

pointngo

First off... definitely get a lucky craft gunfish 115 in a ghost (see-through) colour, and that'll be 90% of your topwater needs sorted.

A few choices for you..

The small patchinko p100 in 500g colour is a fantastic topwater but the paint falls off easily. Still useable. Casts a very long way for its size.
Tackle House Vulture; long caster, great lure.
Lucky craft sammy 115, good lure for calm water but gunfish way better generally.

Subsurface -
Ima Komomo 2, asanago flashing plate colour
Tackle House feed shallow 128, mullet colour

I wouldn't bother with Fiish minnows in such shallow water and a toby won't be much use to you in a foot of water.. always worth having one in your bag though for when it's windy or deeper.

Those lures are enough for most of your shallow fishing and having so few won't be a disadvantage 99% of the time.