Inshore barracuda spinning

azores_fishing

Reaction score
Whenever summer arrives in Azores a new kind of fish makes this ocean it's feeding ground . I'm talking about predators like barracuda , here we have the Yellowmouth barracuda ( Sphyraena viridensis ) and they aren't going to make it easy to get them in .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDrnN3Xvovc

mikench

Reaction score
caught many barracuda in the Persian Gulf a few months back whilst trolling from a boat. They ranged in size from about 5 to 10 kilos. Reeling them in was hard work and they have a real mouth full of teeth!

Chevin

Reaction score
caught many barracuda in the Persian Gulf a few months back whilst trolling from a boat. They ranged in size from about 5 to 10 kilos. Reeling them in was hard work and they have a real mouth full of teeth!

They certainly do, and they are pretty aggressive too. I have dived a lot in the tropics and while I have lost count of the numbers of sharks of several species I have seen, the only time I was really frightened was when a friend of mine and I were bailed up by a shoal of large barracudas. I was bleeding heavily from a knee injury but I had forgotten that at the depth we were at, blood shows as being green. The barra's knew what it was though and they were ready to spread a bit more of it!

3DaPrs.jpg

Chevin

Reaction score
Looks like good sport but no concerns about fish welfare.

Where is there any suggestion of ill-treatment of the barracuda? Perhaps there is something in the video which I haven't watched, but if you are talking of my chin gaffed barra you are well off the mark.

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
I'm, talking about the first one caught and gaffed through its body and then thrashing around on the rocks. Doesn't look like it's been killed humanely either, but maybe someone knocked it on the head out of view of the camera.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I'm, talking about the first one caught and gaffed through its body and then thrashing around on the rocks. Doesn't look like it's been killed humanely either, but maybe someone knocked it on the head out of view of the camera.

Sadly, this is the norm around the world. You don't have to spend long on YouTube to see this kind if thing. Don't get me wrong, I kill plenty of fish, but every one is killed quickly and humanely.