Fishing for dolphinfish/ llampuga/ Mahi Mahi

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I'm off to Mallorca in a couple weeks and ive been told i can go out fishing for 4 hours Coast trolling for dolphinfish/ llampuga/ Mahi Mahi (whatever you want to call it ) at a cost of 95euros which will cover everything.

Now dont get me wrong i want to so much but the thought of being on a boat makes me feel sick already :(

Has anyone done this before or similar?? and advice on what i should do.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have fished for dolphinfish / dorado in Malta and the Florida Keys its great sport the boat went out about 4 or 5 miles from land the boat did roll a bit …. I was in the navy for 10 years and never suffered from seasickness on ships BUT small fishing boat can turn the hardest of stomachs don’t let this put you of going out … don’t go out on the p**s the night before have a something to eat before you go out

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Mahi are awsome fish, stunning looking, great fight and bloody lovely to eat.

You'll be fine, concentrate on the fishing and the horizon and it'll be a great trip.

laguna

Reaction score
Dorado? its on the bucket list!

Ive been on plenty of boats when younger and never puked, even when it was unsuitable to go out. Mainly around the east coast for cod in October.
Best thing to do if its choppy is to focus on the horizon keeping your eyes steady between swells, and avoid looking at the deck.

Hopefully it will be like a mill pond, enjoy!

... if it isn't you can always use the carrots for bait :D

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Right I've gone for it, I'm booked up for next Friday!! Wish me luck that I'm not sick and I manage to catch :)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Great. But do NOT drink 1/2 pint of fresh orange juice with breakfast.:)
The colour of this fish straight out of the water is astounding - the golden belly gives it the name d'or-ado.

Chevin

Reaction score
Right I've gone for it, I'm booked up for next Friday!! Wish me luck that I'm not sick and I manage to catch :)

If you are trolling, the boat will be moving all of the time which minimises the type of moment that causes sea sickness. It is when you anchor that the problems are likely to start but you are not likely to do that while fishing for dorados. Just a tip for you. Don't mention dolphin fish in print, there are many of the uninformed who will accuse you of fishing of dolphins. PETA people are not interested in accuracy when trying to make a point.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I caught one!!!!! Very happy

35k8vix.jpg

2a7gy8y.jpg

33c0knr.png

I wasn't sick but but I did feel Prity dam rough not gonna lie lol Some poor fella was sick 6 times.

Few other fish that was caught

s682ep.jpg

Last edited:

Chevin

Reaction score
I caught one!!!!! Very happy

Well done jamie. Did it fight well and did you eat it? I see that you had a few albacore too. They are splendid fighting fish though not one I care to eat. If you have any more ocean trips planned, a tablet called Avomine can prevent queasiness though it does make some people feel a little drowsy.